1.12 | Attendance

1.12.A | Students are responsible for attending the classes in which they are registered. Students who miss classes for reasons of official university business will be given the opportunity to make up for the missed work without penalty. However, students and/or the sponsor/coach of the official university activity must inform individual instructors prior to absence.

1.12.B | Students who miss a week or more of course content due to extenuating circumstances, such as illness or emergency, should contact the Office of Student Affairs for assistance. Upon receipt of the documentation detailing the illness or emergency, Student Affairs will contact each instructor indicated by the student's submission, in writing, explaining the nature of the absence and requesting consideration making up missed work without penalty.

1.12.C | Documents may be sent to Office of Student Affairs via,, fax to (806) 651-2926, in person to the Vice President of Student Affairs office in the Jack B. Kelley Student Center Suite 102, or mail to WTAMU Box 60775, Canyon, TX 79016. Call (806) 651-2050 or see for more information. 

1.12.D | While the university does not have a standards requirement on attendance, individual instructors have the right to set reasonable and clearly explained attendance standards for their classes. If an attendance requirement is adopted because regular active participation is essential to satisfactory mastery of the course content, the requirement should be reasonable and clearly explained in the course syllabus.

1.12.E | If a student wishes to contest the fairness of an instructor's attendance policy, a complaint should be filed in accordance with the Student Grievance procedures.

1.12.F | Students called to active duty should tell instructors and must withdrawl from the university by notifying the Office of Registrar of that intent in person, by email, by mail, or fax.

1.12.G | When an instructor believes that excessive absences have put a student's grade in jeopardy, the instructors should report this information to Advising Services who will contact the student and will attempt to resolve the problem.