Pre-University Program (PUP) Frequently Asked Questions

What is FERPA and how does it apply to me?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) assures students of certain privacy rights. In relation to the PUP Program, it limits the information the University may provide to 3rd parties, including parents and high school officials. A more complete explanation of this law and the related University policies can be found on the Registrar's FERPA page.

How does the Student Handbook apply to me?

PUP students will be held to the same expectations as the rest of the student body.Particular care should be taken in respect to academic integrity. You can find a copy of the Student Handbook here.

How many courses can I take each semester?

PUP students can take up to two courses each semester. If a PUP student desires to take more than two courses, the request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the provost.

Will these courses transfer to another university?

Yes. For students who have completed the Texas 42-hour core requirements and are officially "core complete," it is required by law that the receiving Texas Public institution accept the core credit block. However, it may still be necessary for students to take other courses required by their particular college major, making some dual credit courses "electives" or otherwise irrelevant to the achievement of a degree. We highly encourage both in-state and out-of-state students to work closely with the college or university they plan to attend to be sure the courses taken will apply to the chosen degree plan.

How do I decide the best courses to take?

We recommend working with Advising Services in conjuntion with your high school counselors to decide appropriate coursework. We also recommend browsing WT's degree checklists or degree checklists from your intended univeristy to be sure the courses you take apply to your degree.

What if I'm having trouble passing a course?

WT offers a variety of tutoring options for students. Please reach out to your advisor if you having difficulties in your class. If you feel you are unable to succeed in the course and have exhausted tutoring options, students do have the ability to drop the course within the deadlines of the University's drop date.

Will taking these courses compromise my ability to get scholarships or grants after high school?

Taking PUP courses will not have an effect on your eligibility for scholarships at West A&M University. PUP students are eligible for all Freshman Scholarships, provided they meet the necessary criteria.

How do I make a payment?

Buff Connect ⇒ Buff Advisor ⇒ Student Finance ⇒ Make a Payment

What is the refund policy?

Students who withdraw by the end of the first week of classes will receive a full refund. If you are registered for more than one class you will receive a full refund for dropping one class before the 12th class date. (See Policies for Dropping and Withdrawing for additional information.)

If I drop a class, will it count against me?

No. Students who drop a class through PUP will not be penalized a drop.

How will Early Earned Credit affect the future of my financial aid package in college?

There is a 150% limit for finanial aid eligibility. (Students are expected to complete their program of study within 150% of the number of hours required.) All classes that they take count towards this percentage. So if they take classes that do not count towards their degree plan, it could affect their financial aid eligibility down the road if they have too many classes that do not count.



WT Advising Services
Classroom Center Room 110
(806) 651-5300
Alyson Ries
(806) 651-5304
Candice Copelin
Assistant Director & Transfer Coordinator
(806) 651-8241