Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Study Abroad FAQs

   Who approves my study abroad program?

Your academic adviser will review the course content and make sure that your credits can be transferred to WT once you return, if successfully completed. By signing the Pre-Approval of Foreign Credit form, your adviser and dean agree to give you academic credit for the courses they approve before you depart. Please be aware that if you choose to change your pre-approved course or courses while you are abroad, we cannot guarantee that you will receive academic credit.

 How do I get a passport?

To apply for a passport, you need to fill out the Form DSP-11, available on the U.S. Department of State website. Search the database of more than 4,500 locations nationwide to submit your application or renewal, or make an appointment with the Post Office in Canyon or any Post Office in Amarillo.

How do I know if I need a visa?

Depending on your country of origin, country of destination and length of stay, you may be required to obtain a Visa. You can find out by visiting the Consulate General of the country you plan to visit. For more information on obtaining a Visa, please visit Then you can select your country of destination and see the Entry/Exit Requirements for U.S. Citizens. If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you will need to search the requirements for your country of origin. The OSA and the International Students Office can provide help in finding out.

What types of programs are offered?

We offer three different types of study abroad programs: faculty-led, affiliated, and exchange/reciprocal programs; read about them on our Programs page.

For how long can I study abroad?

That is completely up to you - and your particular needs and goals, financial resources, as well as the limits placed on you by your academic program at WTAMU. You can go for 2 weeks, a month, a summer, semester, or even a year! Faculty-led programs are usually 2-4 weeks long; also, affiliated providers offer Intensive month programs. If you prefer to take your experience to the next level by spending an entire semester or year abroad, our third-party providers have some great long-term programs for you!

How do I find out what faculty-led programs are offered?

Information on faculty-led programs is normally available in mid September, each year. As soon as the programs are approved, the faculty-leaders and the Office of Study Abroad will share all the details with students who are interested.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes. The Office of Study Abroad and Career Services provide some resources for you and will also assist if you have questions. You can start searching for your internship here!

How much do study abroad programs cost?

Costs vary depending on where you go and for how long. At WTAMU, you can take advantage of an exchange agreement with universities abroad. WTAMU students can study at an international university for essentially the same cost as remaining here. Tuition and fees are paid at here and housing is usually paid for in the host country. Costs can be similar to staying at WTAMU in countries where the cost of living is significantly less than in the U.S., such as China or Costa Rica. High-cost cities, such as London or Rome, can be substantially more expensive. It's best to explore many options before deciding which program you'd like to join.

Are there any scholarships available?

The OSA offers the International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS) to all students that participate in our study abroad programs. This scholarship is granted based on GPA, Financial need, and the length of program that you will be participating. More information is available on our Funding page.

Can I use my financial aid?

Yes. Most grants and loans you receive can be used to pay for your study abroad program. We work closely with Financial Aid to determine how much you can receive. For additional information, make sure you contact Charissa Harden in the Financial Aid Office by phone: 806.651.2058, or by email:

Will I have to delay graduation?
Not necessarily. With planning, you can remain on track to graduate in four years and still study abroad for up to a year. Plan early and work closely with your college, academic advisers and study abroad coordinator to design the best course of study. Some find it best to remain at WTAMU for an extra semester or year after studying abroad because of the new focus they gained overseas. Your own circumstances and needs will determine the best course of action for you.

What forms do I need to fill out to start applying?

All the forms you will need are available on our Application forms page.

What does WT expect from me if I participate in a study abroad program?
While you are abroad, the WTAMU Code of Student Life applies, so WT expects the same behavior and academic results even if you are miles away from campus. We want you to enjoy your experience abroad, but always remembering that you are an Ambassador of West Texas A&M University and the impression you give to others about yourself will also be the image they create of WT.

What do I do if unexpected events occur while I am abroad?

Students and faculty should contact the OSA with emergencies at +1 806.651.5309 during office hours. The OSA will work with students, whether it be an evacuation, medical assistance, or any other type of emergency. If it is after hours, please contact the University Police Department at +1 806.651.2300 and leave a message with them so that we can contact you as soon as possible.

I just returned from my study abroad program, is there anything else I need to do?

You will need to complete the last of the paperwork for the Office of Study Abroad, which include the Post-program Evaluation and Affidavit of Participation, and bring them to our Returning Student Meeting. The forms are available on our Returnees page. Also, remember that your international transcript is your responsibility; if your program does not automatically send this, you will need to request it from the university you attended while abroad. 

How can I share my experience with other students?

You can participate in our annual Buffs Abroad Photo Contest. To participate, just complete and submit the Buffs Abroad Photo Contest Registration Form. For more information, please visit our Returnees page.

Will this matter… in my future?

If you are wondering whether a study abroad program will matter to your future employer or grad school or not, the answer is "yes". Nowadays, employers look for international experience when hiring, and it will also represent a competitive advantage for you if you are thinking about graduate school. There are uncountable skills that develop as a consequence of studying abroad. This type of experience will have a huge positive impact not only in your life, but also on your resume!