Finding Texas Court Cases
The opinions of the various courts are initially published as individual decisions, called "slip opinions," which are then bound into volumes called "reporters". The Cornette Library does not receive slip opinions from any Texas courts. WTAMU faculty/staff/students may find most Texas court opinions through LexisNexis Academic or Westlaw Campus. Other patrons can find selected opinions on the Internet through the sources below, however the most comprehensive collection of opinions from Texas judges can be found in the South Western Reporter.
- LexisNexis Academic - State Case Law: Texas (WTAMU only)
- Full text of all Texas Supreme Court decisions from 1840, Texas Court of Appeals and Court of Civil Appeals decisions from 1892, and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals from 1876. Searchable by citation, case name, or full text. Be sure to read the Search Tips.
- Westlaw Campus (WTAMU only)
- Full text of all Texas Supreme Court cases from 1840, Texas Court of Appeals and Court of Civil Appeals decisions from 1892, and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals from 1876. Searchable by citation, case name, full text, or the West Key Number System. Make sure you select All State Cases for cases prior to 1944, and State Cases after 1944 for more recent cases. You will be required to accept an online license agreement to access the database. Click on the for help on searching. Access to this database is limited, so please log off when you are finished.
- South Western Reporter, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd series (SW, SW2d, and SW3d), 1886 - present
- KFT1257.T4 (Reference)
- Cases from state courts, primarily the supreme courts but important lower court opinions as well, from the southwestern region of the United States. Cornette Library only has the Texas Cases edition from 1923 to the present.
Recent decisions from some state and municipal courts can be found at the following Web sites:
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Opinions from 1997 to 1998 in WordPerfect 5.1 format which has been zipped. 1999 decisions in zipped WordPerfect and HTML. 2000 to 2002 decisions zipped in PDF (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Opinions of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
- Opinions of the Court of Criminal Appeals from 1998 to 2004. Early opinions require Word Perfect 7.0/7.1. Opinions from April 2004 can be searched by case number, hand down date or text.
- Texas Judicial Server
- Homepage for state courts in Texas. Includes links to pages for all state courts, court agencies and organizations, and selected publications. Entries for each court include a brief description of the court, contact information, and a link to any opinions or other Web pages available.
- Texas Legal Research
- Links to various other judicial information including Texas Constitution, Statutes and Regulations, branches of Texas government, Legal Ethics, and more.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2205.