Finding Agricultural Statistics
- Census of Agriculture
- The Census of Agriculture, taken every five years in the years ending in 2 and 7, collects data on "land use and ownership, irrigated land, crop acreage and quantities harvested, livestock and poultry, value of products sold, acres set aside under Federal acreage reduction programs, payments for participation in Federal farm programs, the amount received from Commodity Credit Corporation loans, number of hired farm workers, number of injuries and deaths, and operator characteristics". Additional data is collected from a sample on "production expenses, fertilizer and chemicals, machinery and equipment, market value of land and buildings, and income from farm-related sources". Reports are compiled at the state, county, and zip code levels. Data from the 2007, 2002, 1997, and 1992 censuses are available on the Web from USDA. Data from 1987, 1992, and 1997 are also available from the Cornell University.
- Agricultural Statistics (Annual)
- Annual compilation of statistics on agricultural production, supplies, consumption, facilities, costs, and returns. 1994 to present available on the Web. Adobe Acrobat reader required.
- Agriculture Fact Book
- Nationwide statistical charts and graphs on agriculture, the farm sector, rural America, nutrition, food safety, and natural resources. 1996 through 2001-2002 available on the Web.
- Agricultural Prices (Annual)
- "Annual summary of indexes of prices received and paid by farmers; prices received for farm commodities by states and prices paid for production items by region and the U.S., past year and earlier years." 1970 to present on the Web. Monthly updates also available.
- Magazine from the USDA Economic Research Service. Looks at the economics of food, farming, natural resources, and rural America with the relationship between agriculture and the Nation's land, air, water, and biological resources. Recent years have seen important changes in policy approaches to addressing the environmental impacts of agriculture, as well as in our understanding of those impacts.
- Food Consumption, Prices, and Expenditures, 1970-97
- Data on food prices, expenditures and income, consumption, and nutrients.
- Market News Reports (Agricultural Marketing Service)
- Price, volume, quality, condition, and other market data for farm products in specific markets. Among the products included are: fruits, vegetables, and specialty crops; poultry and eggs; milk and other dairy products; cotton; livestock, meats, grain, and hay; and tobacco.
- AMS Livestock Reports: Amarillo
- National market news that includes Amarillo cattle market reports: slaughter cattle auctions and feeder and replacement cattle auctions. Current data only. For example, under Browse by Category, click on Cattle; Slaughter Cattle Auctions; Texas; and then Amarillo auctions.
Agency Web Sites
- Foreign Agricultural Service (USDA)
- FAS works to help producers and processors export American agriculture. Provides production, market and trade statistics for countries of the world, reports on agricultural export issues, and information about trade shows.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA)
- NASS conducts surveys on all aspects of agricultural life — production and supply of food and other agricultural products, prices paid by consumers and received by farmers, farm labor and wages, chemical usage, supply and demand, and commodity outlooks. Historical statistics going back in some cases as far as 1866 are available. You can also subscribe to a mailing list through the Economics and Statistics System (below) to receive selected reports as published.
- USDA Economics and Statistics System (Cornell University and USDA)
- Some 2,500 reports and datasets from the economics agencies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture covering U.S. and international agriculture and related topics. Most data sets are in spreadsheet format and include time-series data that are updated yearly. You can also subscribe to a mailing list to receive updated reports as they are published.
- USDA Economic Research Service (USDA)
- The ERS provides "economic analysis and information on agriculture, food, natural resources, and rural America". Among the subjects covered include agricultural research and development; banking and farm credit; farm programs; farm sector economics; farmworkers and farm employment; field crops; food; inputs and technology; international agriculture; land, water, and conservation; livestock, dairy, and poultry; rural america; specialty agriculture; statistics and methods; trade issues; and U.S. agricultural trade.
- Texas County Estimates
- County level acreage, yield, and production statistics for corn, cotton, rice, sorghum, wheat, and livestock. Organized by crop, and then by district, and then by county.
- Texas Crop Reports
- Statewide acreage and production statistics for: citrus, corn, cotton, hay, peanuts, pecans, potatoes, rice, sorghum, soybeans, stocks of grain and rice, sugar beets, sugar cane, vegetables, and wheat. Some statistics provide national comparisons; some cover multiple years; some include monthly updates.
- Texas Livestock Reports
- Production, sales, slaughter, and trade statistics for aquaculture; bees and honey; cattle (dairy and beef); exotic hoofstock; horses, ponies, and other equine species; poultry; sheep and goats; and hogs and pigs.
- Texas Economic Reports
- Statistics on prices received and paid, US and Texas price indexes, workers hired and wages paid, and land in farm.
- Market News
- Links to Texas price information for livestock, grain, fruits and vegetables, and poultry and eggs from the Texas Department of Agriculture. Very easy to find information.
Agency Web Sites
- Texas AgriLife Extension Service
- Performs research and provides education and consultation services to all 254 Texas counties through 14 Research and Extension Centers and 250 county offices.
- Texas Agricultural Statistics Service
- TASS produces some 400 reports each year on agriculture in Texas including crops, fruit & vegetables, livestock, dairy, poultry, prices, chemical use, economic statistics, farm labor, crop weather, cash receipts and aquaculture. State and county level data is available.
- FAOSTAT (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations)
- Searchable database of over 1 million time-series records covering international statistics in agricultural production, trade, machinery, land use and irrigation, forest products, fishery products, food aid shipments, and population. Available in English, French, and Spanish.
- OECD Trade and Agricultural Directorate (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development)
- Information about agricultural policies in OECD countries.
- Statistics Canada
- Central source for Canadian government statistics. Click "Find Statistics by Subject" then "Agriculture" to find agricultural census statistics. English and French versions available.
- El Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática (Mexico)
- Mexico's source for geographic, demographic, and economic information. Some agricultural statistics are included on this page. Spanish language only.
- Statistical Resources on the Web: Agriculture
- Alphabetical listing of agricultural statistical sources on the web.
- Statistical Insight (WTAMU only)
- LexisNexis Statistical provides indexing, abstracting, and selected full-text for U.S. government statistical publications including: full-text of U.S. government statistical publications from 1995 to the present and the Statistical Abstract of the United States, abstract and index information from 1973 to the present, and links from abstract/index records to full-text documents on government Web sites.
- Fedstats: One Stop Shopping for Federal Statistics
- A central site intended to to provide easy access to statistics provided by the more that 70 federal agencies which produce statistics of interest to the public. Browse through a list of subject headings or search by keyword.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2205.