Finding Education Statistics
- School District Demographics System (National Center for Education Statistics)
- Demographic data about children and their living environment, by school district, from the 1990, 2000, and 2010 Census. Includes population, housing, ancestry, employment, income, language, marital status, poverty status, etc. organized by national summary, state, county, and school district. 2000 school district profiles, 2010 school district profiles, and map viewer are also available.
- Education Statistics Quarterly (National Center for Education Statistics)
- The Quarterly offered a comprehensive overview of work done across all of NCES. Each issue included short publications and summaries covering all NCES publications and data products released in a given time period as well as notices about training and funding opportunities. In addition, each issue included a featured topic with invited commentary, and a note on the topic from NCES. It ceased publication in 2005.
- The Condition of Education (National Center for Education Statistics)
- Annual overview on the condition and progress of education in the United States. Has 49 indicators on the status and condition of education. Includes indicators in three main areas: participation in education, elementary and secondary education and outcomes, and postsecondary education and outcomes. Many years include a special focus essay; available through "Closer Looks" button. 1989 to present online, listed with all other annual reports; click on link to Condition of Education.
- Digest of Education Statistics (National Center for Education Statistics)
- A compilation of over 400 statistical tables covering all aspects of education from prekindergarten through graduate school. Links to source data available. Topics include the number of schools and colleges, teachers, enrollments, and graduates, in addition to educational attainment, finances, and federal funds for education, libraries, and international comparisons. 1990 to present online; click on link to Digest of Education Statistics.
- IPEDS Data Center (National Center for Education Statistics)
- From the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Provides data on colleges, universities, and technical and vocational postsecondary institutions in the United States.
- Local Education Agency (School District) Universe Survey Data (National Center for Education Statistics)
- Social, financial and administrative data for each of the school districts in the United States (each public elementary and secondary education agency in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and BIE). Data provided by the Census Bureau and the National Center for Education Statistics. Download data in ASCII flat file or zipped SAS format.
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Information from the primary Federal agency responsible for the collection, analysis, and reporting of data related to education in the United States. May browse by Publications and Products; Surveys and Programs; Data and Tools; Fast Facts; and School Search. Includes Annual Reports and publications listed by subject and survey and program areas.
- Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics (Childstats.gov)
- The Forum of 22 Federal agencies publishes an annual report, America's Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being. National statistics on population, economic security, health, behavior and social environment indicators, education indicators, and others. Browse table of contents.
- Youth Indicators, 2011 (National Center for Education Statistics)
- This statistical report focuses on American youth and young adults 14 to 24 years old. Information on the home environment includes demographics, family composition, and family income. School environment information includes school descriptions, outcomes, and out-of-school experiences. Other topics include health; citizenship and values; and students' futures. May browse the table of contents.
- Snapshot: School District Profiles (Texas Education Agency)
- General information about Texas public school districts from 1994/1995 to the present. Includes demographic information about students and staff; financial information about school district budgets, property values, and state financial assistance; and student performance on state-administered assessment instruments and college admission tests. Data can be browsed or downloaded in Excel or comma-delimited format.
- Academic Excellence Indicator System (Texas Education Agency)
- Statistics on student performance at the campus, district, region, and state levels from 1993/1994. Includes STAAR/TAKS/TAAS passing rates, attendance, dropout rates, and other test performance results.
- Texas Education Agency: Reports and Data
- Links to statistical publications and data files from the Texas Education Agency.
- Texas Higher Education Data (Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board)
- Resources organized by audience or topic. Has data on enrollment, credit hours, personnel, physical facilities, and appropriations for all public higher education institutions in Texas. The Texas Public Higher Education Almanac (click on link under "Overview") includes information on faculty, graduation rates, state comparisons, national context, and profiles of two-year and four-year institutions. Online Institutional Resumes (2009 to date) have information on enrollment, costs, financial aid, funding, graduation rates, and student success.
- Statistical Insight (WTAMU only)
- This database from ProQuest provides indexing, abstracting, and selected full-text for U.S. government statistical publications including: select tables from U.S. government and business reports (1999 - present); U.S. Federal statistical publications (coverage from 1973); International statistical publications from the UN, EU, OECD, etc. (coverage from 1983); and U.S. state government, business, and research institute statistical publications (coverage from 1980).
- A central site intended to to provide easy access to statistics provided by the more than 90 federal agencies which produce statistics of interest to the public. Browse through a list of topics or search by keyword.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Education
- The Census Bureau collects data on Educational Attainment, School Districts, and School Enrollment. Easy search box for terms such as Field of Training to find publications. Also has links to Elementary/Secondary Education Statistics.
- Statistical Resources on the Web: Education
- Very detailed guide to education statistics on the Web. Includes sections on: All Education Levels; Educational Attainment; Elementary/Secondary; Higher Education; Libraries; Literacy; and Technical. Last updated in 2009, but helpful for search strategies.
- Government Information: Demographic Statistics
- Links to sources for United States and Texas demographic statistics on the World Wide Web.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2205.