Finding Agricultural Statistics
- Census of Agriculture
- The Census of Agriculture, now taken every five years in the years ending in -2 and -7, collects data on "land use and ownership, operator characteristics, production practices, income and expenditures." Reports are compiled at the state, Congressional District, and county levels. Zip code stats are available after clicking the Sector Option of a particular Census' Quick Stats, such as the 2017 Quick Stats. Before 1925, the Census of Agriculture was part of the Decennial Census - Census of Population and Housing. In 1997, responsibility for the publication was transferred from the Census Bureau (Department of Commerce) to the National Agricultural Statistics Service (Department of Agriculture). Data from 1840 to the present are available online from USDA. Data from 1925 to 2002 are made possible by a joint effort with Cornell University.
- Agricultural Statistics (Annual)
- Annual compilation of statistics on agricultural production, supplies, consumption, facilities, costs, and returns. Individual years from 1936 to the present are available online. Publication from the USDA. Available online via Cornell University.
- Agriculture Fact Book
- Historical data only for USDA nationwide statistical charts and graphs on agriculture, the farm sector, rural America, nutrition, food safety, and natural resources. Archived editions 1994 through 2001/2002 are available online through HathiTrust. The previous title, Fact Book of U.S. Agriculture, had a more narrative and less detailed approach. Published from 1962 to 1989, some volumes are available in the Internet Archive and HathiTrust.
- Agricultural Prices (Annual)
- Has "prices received by farmers for principal crops, livestock and livestock products; indexes of prices received by farmers; feed price ratios; indexes of prices paid by farmers; and parity prices. Historical data covering years 1910-60 reported in 1962 publication." Published 1964 to present.
- Magazine from the USDA Economic Research Service. Looks at the economics of food, farming, natural resources, and rural America with the relationship between agriculture and the nation's land, air, water, and biological resources. Recent years have seen important changes in policy approaches to addressing the environmental impacts of agriculture, as well as in our understanding of those impacts.
- Food Prices, Expenditures, and Establishments
- Data on food prices, expenditures and income, consumption, and nutrients. The Economic Research Center also has publications related to the topic.
- Market News (Agricultural Marketing Service)
- Price, volume, quality, condition, and other market data for farm products in specific markets. Among the products included are: fruits, vegetables, and specialty crops; poultry and eggs; milk and other dairy products; cotton; livestock, meats, grain, and hay; and tobacco.
- Livestock Reports: Amarillo (Agricultural Marketing Service)
- National market news that includes Amarillo cattle market reports: slaughter cattle auctions and feeder and replacement cattle auctions. Has current data and previous releases back to 11/05/2018. Can browse latest report or search in DATA for a particular commodity and date range. Can also narrow a livestock commodity search to another city.
Agency Web Sites
- Foreign Agricultural Service (USDA)
- FAS works to help producers and processors export American agriculture. Provides production, market and trade statistics for countries of the world, reports on agricultural export issues, and information about trade shows.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA)
- NASS conducts surveys on all aspects of agricultural life — production and supply of food and other agricultural products, prices paid by consumers and received by farmers, farm labor and wages, chemical usage, supply and demand, and commodity outlooks. Historical statistics going back in some cases as far as 1866 are available.
- Economics, Statistics and Market Information System (Cornell University and USDA)
- Over 2,100 reports and datasets from the economics agencies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture covering U.S. and international agriculture and related topics. Most data sets are in spreadsheet format and include time-series data that are updated yearly. The System's Help page has information on how you can subscribe to a mailing list to receive updated reports as they are published.
- USDA Economic Research Service (USDA)
- The ERS has data and publications about animal products; crops; farm economy; farm practices and management; food and nutrition assistance; food choices and health; food markets and prices; food safety; international markets and U.S. trade; natural resources and environment; and rural economy and populations.
- Texas County Estimates
- Includes Quick Stats links to spreadsheets for select commodities: corn, cotton, oats, peanuts, rice, sorghum, soybeans, and wheat. Also cattle inventory. Spreadsheets organized by district, and then by county.
- Texas Crop Reports
- Statewide acreage and production statistics for: canola, corn, cotton, oats, peanuts, rice, sorghum, soybeans, sunflowers, and winter wheat. Some statistics provide national comparisons; some cover multiple years; and some include monthly updates. Also, some information by district.
- Texas Livestock Reports
- Production, sales, slaughter, and trade statistics for cattle (dairy and beef); poultry; sheep and goats; and hogs and pigs.
- Texas Economic Reports
- Statistics on farm production expenditures; state and district cash rental rates; and workers hired and wages paid.
- Market News (Texas Department of Agriculture
- Resources from the Texas Department of Agriculture. TDA Market Summary has Texas Daily Ag Market News Summary covering cattle, hogs, corn, soybeans, and wheat. Also has overview of the national financial markets. Texas Livestock Market Post mostly has contact information about entities auctioning cattle, horses, and exotics. Includes some market reports.
Agency Web Sites
- Texas AgriLife Extension Service
- Performs research and provides education and consultation services to all 254 Texas counties through 13 Research and Extension Centers and 250 county offices.
- NASS Texas Field Office USDA
- Convenient website for Texas agricultural statistics and reports from the USDA.
- FAOSTAT (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations)
- Database of international statistics searchable by topics such as agricultural production, trade, machinery, land use, forestry production and trade, food aid shipments, and population. Available in English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese.
- OECD Trade and Agricultural Directorate (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development)
- Information about agricultural policies in OECD countries.
- OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook
- Can connect to database for detailed commodity information or view static data on agricultural commodity projections for individual countries.
- Statistics Canada
- Central source for Canadian government statistics. Click "Subject" then "Agriculture and Food" to find agricultural census and survey statistics. English and French versions available.
- El Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática (Mexico)
- Mexico's source for geographic, demographic, and economic information. Some agricultural statistics are included. Has option for English language.
- The statistical office of the European Union. For agricultural statistics, click on Data, then Statistics A - Z, then agriculture.