The Cornette Library supports the mission of West Texas A&M University by providing traditional and technology-rich academic resources, services, and positive and successful library experiences that connect people at all academic levels with information and promotes the development of Information Literacy (IL) skills.
We value relationships.
- Respecting the dignity of all individuals
- Interacting with the WTAMU community (students, faculty, staff and alumni), library donors, and other library users
- Record the history of West Texas A&M University
- Record the history and examine the natural characteristics, culture, and industry of the Texas Panhandle
- Anticipating and meeting the information needs of library users and going the extra mile in providing courteous service
We value information literacy.
- Creating an environment that fosters lifelong learning
- Assisting library users to recognize the ongoing value of effective research and information gathering skills
- Teaching skills that enable library users to find, evaluate, and ethically use information
We value and strive to protect the privacy and confidentiality of all our users.
We value intellectual freedom.
- Exploring differing points of view without fear of repression
- Striving to provide access to information resources
We value preservation.
- Acting as custodians of the library’s collections
- Striving to provide an environment conducive to the long term preservation of our library’s resources
- Promote information literacy
- Serve as stewards of the physical and virtual information resources that we acquire, organize, and preserve in support of WTAMU’s curricula
- Provide and/or participate in programs/events that educate and/or enrich lives
- Support the research efforts of library users
- Provide a safe and comfortable learning and working environment
- Maintain and enhance patron privacy and confidentiality
- Provide support to the campus wide Quality Enhancement Program (QEP)
- Support the University’s retention and recruitment efforts
- Remain relevant in a constantly changing digital world
- Ensure Cornette Library staff have professional development opportunities
What We Do
Library staff duties include collection development, cataloging, purchasing materials, maintaining access to electronic resources, obtaining interlibrary loan material, providing instruction and research assistance, handling reserve materials, training student workers, and other non-routine tasks.
Student workers are critical to library operations. The library is open 86 hours a week during fall and spring semesters. Student workers allow us to have all of our service desks staffed all the hours the library is open. A librarian is on duty at the Research & Access Desk whenever the library is open. Student workers also help with the routine jobs like shelving and checking material in and out.
Professional and Staff Positions
Professional and staff positions are posted on WTAMU WorkDay. If you have any questions about any open library positions, please contact Shawna Kennedy-Witthar, Director of Information and Library Resources, by e-mail or at (806) 651-2227.
110 26th St.
Canyon, Texas 79015
Cannot receive mail here. Physicall located on the corner of 26th St. and University Dr.
2403 Russell Long Blvd.
Canyon, TX 79015
WTAMU Box 60748
Canyon, TX 79016
Phone & Fax
- Main Telephone:
- (806) 651-2230
- (806) 651-2213
About the Building
Located in the center of campus, the James and Mary Elizabeth Cornette Library opened in 1974 and has as its mission to provide the University community with access to information resources and to secondarily serve as a cultural and intellectual resource for the regional community.
With 100,000 square feet of space, the library offers seating for 300 and houses approximately 350,000 books and bound periodicals and 650,000 government documents. Cornette Library is a depository for both U.S. and Texas documents. The Hastings Electronic Learning Center, which contains the student computer lab, TTVN classrooms, and teaching labs for faculty and staff, is located in the basement of the library.
We're constantly working to improve the building. To see what we're doing and have done, please visit our Cornette Library Maintenance and Renovations page