West Texas A&M University - Home
Buff Transit Tracker
International Transfer

International Transfer

Who is a Transfer Student?

A student who has attended an institution of higher learning (college or university) beyond high school  but does not have a completed university degree. Students who have an associate degree and will continue into a U.S. bachelors degree, are also considered transfer students.

How do I apply for admission?  (Application Deadlines)

  1. Submit Texas Common Application and pay $75 application fee (Online)
  2. Submit official transcripts to a university approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Service*
    *not required for U.S. transcripts
  3. Submit foreign credential evaluation report and transcripts to International Student Office

Transfer students from U.S. institutions:

  • Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0/4.0 grade scale
  • Meet all admission requirements into the desired degree program 
  • Submit copies of passport bio page, visa, current I-20 and front and back of I-94 card
  • TOEFL/IELTS and SAT/ACT is not required for students transferring from U.S. institutions. 

Transfer students from foreign institutions:

  • Must have the equivalent of a 2.0/4.0 GPA when home grade scale is converted to the U.S. grade scale system
  • Must meet all admission requirements into the desired degree program
  • TOEFL or IELTS are required only for students from non U.S. institutions. View required test scores.
  • Course descriptions in English for each course to be transferred to WTAMU

Fall 2017 Applicants: All documents required for admission and I-20 issuance are to be submitted to the International Student Office by July 14, 2017 in order to allow adequate time for processing. Due to anticipated long visa processing times, our office will issue I-20’s no later than August 1, 2017. This will allow the student enough time to attend their visa appointment, secure flight arrangements, and arrive at WTAMU on time for registration.

How is transfer credit determined?

Transfer credit from a U.S. college/university is determined by the Admissions Office through course descriptions and common course codes. 

How do I apply for a visa?

You will need an I-20 form for use in the visa application process. Once you are notified of admission, you will be asked to submit proof of finances for your first year of studies to receive an I-20 form.

The Int’l Student Office will accept proof of financial resources from a variety of sources for issuance of the I-20 form including private funds, university funds, and sponsoring company, agency or government funds.  
Private Funds
University Funds
Sponsoring Company/Agency or Government Funds

Are there other requirements? 

Vaccinations - The bacterial meningitis vaccination is required of all students attending WTAMU.  Please submit required Bacterial Meningitis Form as proof of vaccination.

Texas Success Initiative (TSI) - Foreign applicants will meet TSI requirements (unless exempt) once they are admitted and arrive on campus. 

Athletes - Please be aware there are NCAA requirements that must be met to play sports at WTAMU.  Meeting NCAA eligibility is a separate process from the application/admission process.  Please work with your coach to apply for and meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

Who do I contact if I need assistance with the application/admission process?   

International Student Services
E-mail - internationaladmissions@wtamu.edu
Phone - 806-651-2073
Fax - 806-651-2071