Student Employment

On Campus Employment

Foreign students with valid F-1 status are eligible for on-campus employment. No special authorization from the Department of Homeland Security is needed.  Below are the steps to obtain "on campus" employment.

  • Visit the Student Employment website
  • Interview for desired position
  • Complete all required paperwork with student employment services
  • Apply for a Social security card
  • Submit copy of social security card to payroll office

On-campus employment is limited to 20-hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Employment in excess of 20 hours per week during the fall or spring semester is unlawful. During vacation periods and holidays, students may work 21-40 hours per week.

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a permanent nine-digit identification number/card issued by the United States government. Social Security Numbers are ONLY available to F-1 students who have an offer of employment on campus or specific work authorization granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Students must check in with International Student Services (ISS) before applying for a social security number (SSN).

The ISS staff must activate your SEVIS record at least 48 hours before you go to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office. SSA will not accept an SSN application if you have not  first checked in with ISO. Applicants should be in the United States for more than ten days before going to the SSA office to apply. This allows arrival data from the port-of-entry to be entered in the primary system. Students who try to apply earlier are rejected and their paper applications are put into a manual process that can take several weeks to complete.

Social Security Application

Application for Social Security Card

Applicants must have proper documentation:

  • Passport
  • I-94, Arrival/Departure Record (issued when you arrived in the United States showing your lawful immigration status)
  • If you are an F-1 student, your I-20 (certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant status)
  • If you are a J-1 student, your DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor status)
  • Letter from your designated school official (ISS international student adviser) indicating you are registered at the University and your immigration status
  • Signed letter from your employer describing your job, your employment start date, where you will be working and your supervisor’s name and telephone number

Working While Awaiting an SSN

An F-1 student may work while the Social Security number application is being processed. Employers may wish to reference SSA’s fact sheet, Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers . This fact sheet contains information on how to report wages for an employee who has not yet received an SSN.

Do not apply for a social security number for invalid reasons. Authorized employment is almost always the basis for the assignment of a social security number. Reasons that are not valid, according to the SSA, include such needs as driver’s license, loans, rental agreements, etc.

Social Security Office

4750 Canyon Dr.
Amarillo, TX  79109
Local Number 1-888-221-1113
National Too Free 1-800-772-1213

General Directions:

From Canyon - Take I-27 towards Amarillo.  Exit I-27 at 45th, turn left and go under the bridge and back towards Canyon on I-27 again.  The office is on the access road on your right side.

Hours of Operation

Monday - Tuesday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Wednesday: 8:00 am - noon.
Thursday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.

Off Campus Employment

A student in lawful F1 status who has completed two long semesters (fall,spring) of full time attendance, may recevie authorization for off campus employment form the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  Students are encouraged to plan ahead as the DHS authorization process can take up to 3 months for approval. There are 3 types of off campus employment: 

For information on student employment, visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement