See also related guides on Bioterrorism and September 11, 2001 and Aftermath.
News and Current Events
- World Terrorism Report
- Links to terrorism news articles from English language news services, including American, British, Afghani, and Pakistani sources. Registration required.
- Latest News from the White House
- Links to Presidential actions and publications, homeland security, humanitarian, diplomatic, military, financial, investigative, and recovery actions.
- Department of Defense
- Links to articles, press releases, advisories, briefings, speeches, transcripts, slides, etc. from the Department of Defense.
- Terrorist Designations and State Sponsors of Terrorism
- Terrorist designation lists. Terrorist Groups and Most Wanted Terrorists (under The Terrorist Enemy). Archived press releases (under 2001-2009 Archives, Issues and Press tab).
- Department of Homeland Security
- Main web site for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Background and Context
- Cornette Library Catalog: Terrorism
- Books, journals, government documents, and web sites about terrorism available from the Cornette Library. Those sources shown in the results list with the location of "Internet" are available over the web. Others may be checked out or used in the library.
- Country Reports on Terrorism
- From the State Department. Replaces the publication Patterns of Global Terrorism
- The September 11th Sourcebooks
Six volumes of documents chosen as "the most important available primary sources on U.S. terrorism policy" including updates.
- Volume I: Terrorism and U.S. Policy
- Volume II: Afghanistan
- Volume III: BIOWAR
- Volume IV: The Once and Future King?
- Volume V: Anthrax at Sverdlovsk, 1979
- Volume VI: The Hunt for Bin Laden
- Volume VII: The Taliban File
- Taliban File Part II
- The Taliban File Part III
- The Taliban File Part IV
- Update: The Taliban File Part IV
- Bush Administration's First Memo on al-Qaeda Declassified
- 9/11 Commission Staff Report on FAA Failings Published on Web
- FAA Believed Second 9/11 Plane Heading Towards NY for Emergency Landing
- Government Releases Detailed Information on 9/11 Crashes
- The Global Terrorism Database (GTD)
- The GTD is an open-source database including information on terrorist events around the world since 1970 (currently updated through 2017). Includes almost 80,000 cases, international and domestic. Includes information about the dates, locations, weapons used, nature of targets, number of casualties, and perpetrator (if known). Developed by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START).
- Federation of American Scientists Intelligence Resource Program
- This site provides a selection of official and unofficial resources on intelligence policy, structure, function, organizations and operations. Their Terrorism: Background and Threat Assessments includes their reports (e.g. Taleban and al-Qa'ida) and links to various government reports.
- Culture And Conflict Studies
- From the Naval Graduate School. Offers resources on international cultures and discusses points of conflict.
- RAND: Newslinks: Terrorism and Homeland Security Research
- Links to research and analysis, reports and books, summaries, activities/presentations, commentary, and congressional testimony on terrorism and low-intensity conflict.
- Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS)
- Contains articles from the CNS of the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Reports on terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, U.S. domestic preparedness and response to terrorism. Last updated in the summer of 2006.
Other Web Guides
- America's War Against Terrorism: World Trade Center/Pentagon Terrorism and the Aftermath
- Extensive collection of links on the September 11th attack, counterterrorism, previous attacks, other countries, and background research sources.
Selected Government Agencies