Research & Access Services
The Research & Access Services Unit is here to help you find (research) and obtain (access) information. We offer various services and resources.
We are located near the library's atrium on the 1st floor, straight across from any library entrance.
The Cornette Library provides access to many physical and digital resources. You can find resources by subject or course, individual databases, or journal title.
Quick Discover Search: Articles, Books, and more
We will help you find the research you need at the Research & Access Desk, by using the "Live Chat" button located on the top-right of the page, or by using any of the following:
Quick Catalog Search
Information about Circulation Services
We check out books and other library materials, processes those materials on their return, and then re-shelves them in their appropriate locations in the Library. We also maintain the photocopiers, process fines and lost books, handle lost and found items, create community library cards (e.g. TexShare and Friends) as well as many other essential services.
Quick Reserves Search
Information about Reserves
Course reserves are a collection of physical (books, pamphlets, etc.) and electronic (Word, PDFs, PowerPoint, etc.) materials placed on reserve by faculty. By placing items on reserve, faculty and the library are ensuring everyone within a class has fair access to course material.
The Course Reserve Collection is located in a closed stack (restricted access) area at the Research & Access Desk in the Cornette Library. Faculty members who are teachings courses can have library items or their own personal items added as Course Reserves for their students to use, or have digital items placed online for student use as eReserves.
WTAMU students, faculty, staff, and Friends of Cornette Library (Supporting level and above) can use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to borrow research materials from the collections of other libraries.
The ILL Office is located in the west hall at the south end of the Cornette Library. The normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Contact the Interlibrary Loan department at (806) 651-2406Request an Item
When you find an item within many of our databases that we do not have access to, you will often find a link that will allow you to request the item from Interlibrary Loan. You may also want to consider using the following database to search for items not held at the Cornette Library:WorldCat
Instructions to Request an Item
- For books please give us author, title, publisher, and publication date.
- For articles please give us author, title, title of journal/magazine/newspaper, date or volume/issue of publication, and page numbers.
- For other media, also please give us format, producer, and any other unique information.
- Generally no charge, but you will be contacted in advance if there will be any fee.
- Allow up to 1 week for articles to arrive.
- Allow 1-3 weeks for books to arrive.
- You will be notified by email or telephone when your material arrives.
- Material can be picked up in the ILL office or at the Research & Access Desk.
- Some articles may be delivered as PDF attachments to email.
- Articles will typically be delivered online. You’ll receive email notification when the article is available. Login to your ILL account and retrieve the item under the “Download” tab. Download/print these within 30 days. Click on the transaction number to get the PDF.
- Rarely, articles will be received as photocopies that can be picked up at ILL desk.
- Microfilm or rare materials may only be used in the library.
- Renewal and check-out periods are determined by the lending library.
- Articles are yours to keep.
- Books and other materials can be returned to ILL office 8-5, M-F or to the Research & Access Desk.
- Please do not return ILL materials to external book drops.
Fines & Fees
- Overdue ILL items accrue fines at $1.00/day.
- Replacement fees for lost or damaged items are assessed by the lending library, not Cornette Library.
- Email a librarian. We can help you find what you need from another source.
- Use a document delivery service such as the following:
- Try to obtain the item from a bookstore
- Search for articles via the World Wide Web
- Visit a library which owns a needed item
- Contact the publisher or author of the item
- Ask for help on an Internet newsgroup or mailing list
Instructional Resource Center (IRC)
The Cornette Library's Instructional Resource Center, is an excellent resource for WTAMU education majors and tutors. It houses kindergarten through 12th grade textbooks adopted by the State of Texas for its public schools. The collection also includes books for creating lesson plans and activities for the classroom. Most of these materials can be checked out at the Research & Access Desk using your Buffalo Gold Card.
Web Sites of Interest
- Lesson plans, worksheet generators, WebQuests, educational news updates, and links to additional education sites. Annual individual subscription cost is $19.99.
- Teacher-reviewed material. Articles and curriculum calendar are free. Annual subscription cost for lesson plans K-12, all subjects, is $24-$60 (Spring 2017).
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
- You may access all grade levels and disciplines of the TEKS from this page.
- State Board for Educator Certification
- Information about teacher certification in Texas.
- Texas Education Agency
- The website for the Texas Education Agency.
Note: Current students may avoid copying fees by using the Library's free scanners to scan their documents, e-mail them to themselves, and then print them using their printing allotment.
There are two copy machines on the first floor of the library. Both are located near the east staircase by the Research & Access Desk. There is another copy machine on the second floor of the library, at the top of the east staircase, close to Government Documents.
Cost per Copy
Copies are 9 cents per page, plus tax. All of the copiers use your Buffalo Gold Cards (WTAMU ID card). None of the copiers accept cash.
You may add credit to your Buffalo Gold Card or Guest Card at the Research & Access Desk.
Visitors who are not associated with WTAMU and who plan to only make a few copies during a one-time visit may borrow a copy card from the Research & Access Desk. Payment is made at the Desk when the card is returned. This card may not be taken out of the library.
Visitors who do not have a Buffalo Gold Card may purchase a Guest Card at the Research & Access Desk. The initial cost of the card is $1.00. There is no value on the card when initially purchased.
Access points for the University's wireless network in the Library are configured to maximize connectivity in the open seating areas. However, access is available throughout most of the Library. Wireless coverage can vary greatly within a couple of feet depending on conditions. Structural features such as columns, metal shelving units, and stairways may block or reduce signal strength in certain areas. If you are having trouble connecting, try moving.
The University and Library assume no responsibility for the safety and security of equipment or for wireless device configurations, security, or data files resulting from the connection to the University's network.
Do not, under any circumstances, leave your personal belongings unattended. The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen laptops, bookbags, or any other item.
For help connecting, please see IT's Buff Roaming page.
You can print wirelessly using Buff Print.