The librarians and staff of Cornette Library share West Texas A&M University's commitment to providing a working, learning, and service environment that affords equal access and opportunity to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities, in compliance with federal and state law. Consistent with this commitment, the University strives to provide EIR that are accessible to all authorized users and that meet the requirements of the Texas DIR. (See also the WTAMU Accessibility page for more information on University policies.)
For the library specifically this means providing access to our information resources and service to all of our users. Services and activities that contribute to this goal include:
- The library building meets requirements for wheelchair access. There is an accessible entrance at the library's main East entrance. Planned enhancements include adding handicapped access at the South entrance. There is an elevator for 2nd floor access.
- Printers, scanners, public use computers, seating areas, and group study areas are available for all users.
- Library staff will assist patrons with heavy items, or items that are shelved at an awkward height for any individual.
- Library staff will assist any patron with navigating the library website and information resources, and will assist in locating necessary information.
- The library requests a VPAT from all database vendors before purchasing new electronic resource materials.
- The library is consulting with the Student Disability Services Office on the purchase of adaptive equipment for library use.
- The Interlibrary Loan office will attempt to locate large-print and audio-visual materials and if students, faculty or staff request them.
- Stacks are wheelchair accessible.