Curriculum and Instruction - Special Education Option, M.Ed.

(36 hours)

Admission Requirements

A candidate must:

  • Hold a standard classroom teaching certificate;
  • Complete a formal application and mandatory interview;
  • Meet University Graduate School admission requirements;
  • And have a 2.75 undergraduate grade point average.

Leveling Courses

Students who do not have a special education background at the undergraduate level are required to take 9 semester hours of the following leveling courses in addition to 36 semester hours of required special education courses to fulfill course work requirements of the M.Ed. in special education.

  • EPSY 6350 Exceptional Children in the Mainstream of Society 3
  • EDSP 6352 Instructional Programming for Students with Intellectual Disabilities 3
  • EDSP 6357 Teaching Secondary Students with Mild Disabilities 3

Required Special Education Courses (27 hours)

  • EDSP 6354 Theories of Learning Disabilities and Emotional/Behavioral Disorders 3
  • EDSP 6356 Advanced Remediation Techniques 3
  • EDSP 6358 Seminar in Students with Multiple Impairments 3
  • EDSP 6359 Management of Classroom Behaviors—Exceptional Learners 3
  • EDSP 6360 Assistive Technology 3
  • EDSP 6362 Transition: From Schools to Adult Communities 3
  • EDSP 6364 Legal Issues in Special Education 3
  • EPSY 6322 Individual Mental Testing I 3
  • EDSP 6376 Interpretation of Assessment Data for Instruction 3

Required Education Graduate Core Courses (9 hours)

  • EDPD 6303 - Education Research 3
  • EDPD 6304 - Multicultural Education 3
  • EDPD 6329 - Human Development 3

Comprehensive Examination

In addition to the completion of course requirements, graduate special education students are required to pass a comprehensive examination during or after their last semester of taking courses.

C&I Special Education Option Program Goals

Out of State Licensure/Certification:

"Requirements for licensure/certification vary from state to state. Our programs prepare students for certification and /or licensure in the State of Texas. We do not represent that our programs prepare students for licensure or certification in other states."


Dr. Frank Goode
Assistant Professor of Education