International Travel


Immigration regulations require you to carry proof of immigration status at all times, even when traveling within the United States. We strongly recommend you take your original documents with you if you are traveling outside of the Canyon/Amarillo area. If you have lost your immigration documents, please consult with an immigration adviser in the International Student Office.

When you travel, you should carry the following:

  • Passport
  • I-94 card
  • I-20 form, endorsed for travel
  • Letter of Enrollment

If you plan to travel to Mexico or Canada while you are a student in the U.S., review the visa requirements for visitors to Mexico or Canada for your home country. Check visa requirements for Mexico or Canada by visiting their embassey websites. Be aware, an entry visa for Mexico or Canada can take many days.

If you travel to Mexico or Canada to renew your F-1 visa, please review information concerning F-1 visa renewal in a third country: Applying at a Border Post.

When making plans for travel during summer or winter breaks, be aware of significant delays of visa issuance. Some consulates require an appointment (even in your home country) for visa renewal. Additionally, consulates and embassies conduct background checks on individuals, resulting in significant delays in visa processing times. Background checks can be triggered by arrests in the United States, certain courses that you may have taken that appear on your transcript or by being from a country that requires a background check before issuance of a visa.

If your visa has expired and you wish to re-enter the U.S., check with the consulate or embassy about processing times and procedures.

Students who went through special registration at the port of entry or local BCIS (INS) office need to register with BCIS when leaving the U.S. It is important you find the BCIS office at the airport or port of entry you are leaving from and register with an immigration officer.

For further information on travel, please visit  U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement