Fall 2016 International Student Orientation
Please check this page frequently for updates to orientation schedule (Last updated 04/21/2016)
Arrive by: Monday, August 22, 2016
- Book your flight to arrival at your final destination in Amarillo Texas, Rick Husband International Airport (Airport Code: AMA).
- Pick Up Service information to be updated.
- Flight information is required to schedule pick up service.
- To provide notice, please submit Airport Pick Up Service form.
- Students not able to schedule pick up services will need to take a taxi from the airport to campus. Approximate cost is $60 U.S. dollars.
Report to the International Student Office on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 9 a.m.
Location: Old Student Union Building (Old SUB), Room 107B, please bring the following:
Testing, Advising and Registration: To be determined upon arrival
- I-20 form
- Any outstanding items listed on admission letter
- Emergency contact information is needed upon check in at the Int'l Office.
This includes name, address, phone number, and email of the person we need to contact in case of medical emergency in your home country AND in the U.S. if there is one. You will be asked to complete an emergency form at check in. Please be ready with this information.
- Testing (freshmen and transfers); unless TSI exempt
- Meet with academic advisors for schedule of classes
New Student Orientation: Wednesday, August 24, 2016
- Required for all new freshmen and transfer students ONLY (Registration Form)
- Graduate students-NOT REQUIRED
Residence Halls Open: Thursday, August 25, 2016
- Residence Halls officially open on Thursday, August 25th - However, arrangements can be made for international students to check-in a few days early (with Director approval). You must have a room assignment and you must provide us with your arrival information to secure early check-in.
- Student must have applied for and received residential assignment prior to check in
- Apply for Residential Living
Full-time students who are under 21 years of age and who have accrued fewer than 60 post high school credits hours are required to live in University housing.
- Students who arrive prior to early check-in or do not have a room assignment may seek temporary arrangements at a local hotel
Mandatory Immigration & Special Interest Sessions: Friday August 26, 2016 at 8am
- Immigration Status and your F-1 visa
- Healthcare and Medical Insurance Requirements
- Social Security, Texas Identification and Texas Driver's License
- Employment and Internships
- Buff Portal System (Registration)
- Special interest sessions for ALL new international students - (Registration Form)
Classes Begin: Monday, August 29, 2016
Please Note: Proof of a bacterial meningitis immunization is required prior to checking into the residence halls. Students who have recently taken the vaccination must have taken it at least 10 days prior to their desired move in date. For information about this requirement, please visit the information page "Bacterial Meningitis Information."