Less than Full Time Enrollment
Foreign students with F-1 or J-1 visa status must be enrolled full time during the fall and spring semesters. Full time enrollment for graduate students is defined as 9 credit hours per semester. For undergraduate students full time is 12 credit hours.
There are a few immigration exceptions to the full time enrollment rule:
- Illness or medical condition that prevents full time enrollment
- Initial difficulty with the English language or with reading requirements
- Unfamiliarity with American teaching methods and/or improper course level placement
- To complete course of study in current term
- Student is also enrolled concurrently at another college and the combined hours equal full time enrollment
- Student has a graduate teaching or research assignment and the department/graduate school considers 6 credit hours plus graduate assistantship as full time enrollment
Students enrolled less than full time are required to provide the International Student Office with the required documentation. This must be done prior to the first class day for the semester they are underenrolled.
- Identify reason for less than full time enrollment
- Complete “Notification of Less than Full Time Enrollment” form
- Download “Academic Adviser’s Less then Full Time Recommendation” form
- Meet with academic adviser for recommendation and signature
- Submit completed forms to International Student Office
- International Student Office immigration adviser will notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service of your enrollment via SEVIS (Student Exchange and Visitors Information System)
- A new I-20 with authorization for less than full time enrollment will be issued
Additional information about "Less than Full Time Enrollment -
If your last remainding class is only offered "on line", you will be required to register for an additional class taught in an "in class" format to meet immigration regulations.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org