West Texas A&M University - Home
Buff Transit Tracker
International Doctoral Students

Doctoral Students

Who can apply as a Doctoral Student?

A student with a bachelor's degree plus a Master of Science degree (thesis preferred) with at least one degree in an agriculture discipline.

How do I apply for admission?  (Application Deadlines)

  1. Submit Texas Common Application and pay $75 application fee (Online)
  2. Submit official transcripts to a university approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Service
  3. Submit foreign credential evaluation report and transcripts to International Student Office
  4.  Submit TOEFL (minimum 79 iBT) or IELTS (minimum 6.0) scores or PTE score of 53
  5. The department has a secondary application process (Application for Graduate Studies) that will be sent to you once you have applied to the University, have sent your official transcripts and evaluation with certified English translations from all colleges and universities attended.

Please note:

  • The Department of Agricultural Sciences no longer requires students to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
  • Decisions about whether you are eligible for a graduate research assitantship are not made until all of your documentation has been received and evaluated by the International Student Office and the Graduate School.
  • Meeting minimum admission requirements to the Graduate School does not guarantee admission into the doctoral program.
  • Students should consult with the Coordinator of Graduate Studies (see contact information below) for additional information about the doctoral degree program.

How do I apply for a visa?

You will need an I-20 form for use in the visa application process. Once you are notified of admission, you will be asked to submit proof of finances for your first year of studies to receive an I-20 form. Below are the steps:

  1. Submit a personal bank letter or statement (Example of Bank Letter). See Tuition Information
  2. If not self-supporting, submit Sponsor's Financial Statement along with the sponsor's bank letter or statement
  3. Once we receive financial proof, an I-20 form will be issued
  4. You will use the information on the I-20 form to make a visa appointment

Are there other requirements?

Vaccinations- The bacterial meningitis vaccination is required of all students attending WTAMU. Please submit required Bacterial Meningitis Form as proof of vaccination.

Who do I contact if I need assistance with the application/admission process?

Giselle Alvarado
Associate Director
E-mail - galvarado@wtamu.edu
Phone- 806-651-2073
Fax - 806-651-2071

Who do I contact if I want more information about the Doctoral program?

Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Department of Agricultural Sciences