Are There Different Styles of Resumes?
Yes, there are three main resume styles. The chronological and functional styles have been around for a long time. Employers today are requesting the targeted style. Our workshop focuses on developing a targeted resume. If you are interested in one of the other styles (or an employer has specifically requested a chronological or functional style document) feel free to search for examples online.
- Somewhat like a functional resume, but focuses on a specific (targeted) position
- Another way to accomplish this goal is to do a targeted cover letter and have different versions of your resume
- Presents your working life in historical perspective
- Organized by company/job titles/responsibilities
- Written in reverse chronological order, that is, most recent experience is listed first
- Organized by skill sets and experiences
- Employment history is a separate section
- Good for college students, especially if their past experience is diverse and/or unrelated to their career objective upon graduation.
Resume Workshop Home