Coming out of an economic downturn, companies that are skittish to hire full-time workers for budget reasons but need additional hands for business purposes often start by bringing on temporary workers first.
While you can search online using keywords like "part-time" and "temporary" you should also consider registering with any or all staffing firms that search for candidates with your expertise. Here are some reasons why:
- They’re free. Staffing firms make their money from the employers not the candidates. You should not have to plunk down a dime.
- Temp work is growing. With the economy hopefully recovering from the worst recession since the depression, employers might be hesitant to hire employees full-time; however they will hire temporary employees if they have work that MUST be done.
- The positions can be long-term. A common misconception job seekers have about staffing firms and the jobs they fill is that the positions last only a few weeks. Not so, many projects can last several months or even a year.
- The work can lead to a full-time position. Work through a staffing firm can, and often does, result in a full-time job. For example, if a company’s finances are more stable at the end of your contract or you prove too valuable to lose that temporary position could become permanent.
- Staffing firms span multiple industries. Another misconception about staffing firms is that they only hire for administrative positions. Not so, they hire in all industries including health care, finance, marketing, IT, law and manufacturing.
Here is a list of just a few staffing firms looking for candidates and some of the hundreds of temporary, temp-to-hire and full-time job openings they have now.
Aegis Therapies: Specializes in rehabilitation therapies.
Ajilon Professional Staffing: Specializes in accounting, finance, bookkeeping, corporate management office support, law and legal support.
Carney, Sandoe & Associates: Specializes in placing teachers.
Kelly Services: Specializes in office services, accounting, engineering, information technology, law, sciences, marketing, creative services, light industries, education and health care
Medical Staffing Network: Specializes in nursing and allied health professions
Office Team: Specializes in administrative positions including administrative assistance, data entry, office management, reception staff and customer service.
PSD Technical Services: Specializes in aerospace, automotive, civil/architectural, defense/military, electronics, energy, government, medical, software and telecommunications
Robert Half Finance & Accounting: Specializes in accounting, finance, credit and collections, bookkeeping, payroll and taxation.
Spherion Staffing Services: Specializes in technology, finance, accounting, marketing, law, engineering, manufacturing, sales, human resources and administrative.
Stephens Little: Professional Search Consultants based out of Dallas, TX.
The Creative Group: Specializes in creative, advertising, marketing, web and public relations
The Online Recruiters Directory: Directory of recruiting services, staffing and recruiting firms, headhunters, and recruiting agencies.
Volt: Specializes in IT, engineering, accounting, administrative, call center, human resources, technical and creative communications, and manufacturing.