Orientation and Training
When you first hire a student, please take some time to help your student get acquainted with your particular office and the policies of West Texas A&M University.
OVERVIEW OF DEPARTMENT
- Mission of Department
- Organizational chart and job responsibilities of staff members
- Other areas with which the office interacts
- Procedure manual
- Introduction to co-workers
- Work area
- Location of equipment, supplies, restroom, break area, etc
- Information about nearby departments (to better answer customer's questions)
DAILY JOB EXPECTATIONS
- Work hours - daily and weekly
- Recording hours/timesheets - when they are due, where to pick up checks and what hours payroll is open.
- Dress code
- Behavior/conduct on the job
- Confidentiality - view a generic Confidentiality agreement
SPECIFICS ABOUT PERFORMING REQUIRED TASKS
- Operating the phone, taking and forwarding messages
- Operating other office equipment: computer system, copier, fax, register, etc.
The above suggested orientation checklist can provide a base for your training. A department specific training checklist may also provide useful suggestions to training your new student workers.