West Texas A&M University - Home
Moving Out

Moving Out


Moving out of your apartment/house can be a very hectic time, but there are a number of steps you need to take during the move-out process:

  • Make sure you have provided Prior Notice (PDF Document) to your landlord for when you will be vacating the premises. Some landlords require 60 days or more notice, but to find out your landlord's policy, check your lease and call to make sure you have notified them appropriately. Remember: Even if you verbally notify the landlord, you must still provide this notice in writing!
  • Provide your landlord with a forwarding address, so that they know where to mail your security deposit (preferably send certified mail), and always keep a copy for your records.
  • Clean your apartment/house thoroughly! Remember: Your landlord can deduct money from you security deposit for damages and items not properly cleaned.
  • Fill out the Move-Out Checklist (PDF Document), documenting the condition of the property once you have moved out. Send a copy to your landlord and make sure to keep a copy for your own records.
  • Take pictures and videotape the unit. When videotaping the unit, make sure to document the date (i.e. Hold a newspaper from that day and videotape this).  NOTE: When videotaping, make sure to do this in one taping (do not pause or stop the tape at any time!).
  • Don't forget to return the keys to the landlord by the end of the lease term!

Return of Your Security Deposit

  • Your landlord is required to return your security deposit (PDF Document), or an itemized list of deductions, within 30 days of the end of the lease term (assuming they were provided with a forwarding address in writing before the lease term was over). If you are having issues with the return of your security deposit, contact Commuter Programs.
  • If your security deposit is wrongfully withheld, provide a written Notice Requesting Wrongfully Withheld Security Deposit (PDF Document) to the landlord.  If you continue to have issues, contact legal counsel.
My Buff Portal