Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (B.S.E.):
Mad Cow Disease
(United States Department of Agriculture) Newsroom: BSE Information and
- This is the USDA bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) web site that
has department press releases, videos and transcripts, a chronology of BSE,
and additional background information.
- Food Safety and Inspection Service: BSE Resources
- Includes latest news, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) Risk Assessment
results, BSE information and resources, and historical information. It also
has a helpful FAQ
- FAS - Foreign Agricultural
- Provides information on the effect of BSE on international trade..
- FDA - U. S.
Food and Drug Administration
- Includes a general background of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)
with FAQ's and FDA action plans, consumer information, Industry and Veterinarian
information, Bovine-based vaccines, blood safety, and recent actions.
- Center for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC)
- There is also coverage from the CDC on the related disease in humans, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease (vCJD). Each page contains an overview, facts, treatment, prevention, control measures, links to additional resources, and more.
- Very current information from the National Institutes of Health, MEDLINEplus
covers Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) and including news, general overviews,
research, specific Conditions and aspects, organizations, statistics and
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- The NINDS has a general Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies information
page that covers many related diseases like BSE, CJD, Chronic-wasting Disease,
- Links to sites providing updates on BSE. This site is funded in part by
America's Beef Producers through the Beef Checkoff Program.
- United States Meat Export
- Current news about meat trade, including BSE issues whenever they are relevant.
Department of State Health Services
- Disease overview, plus information on Texas cases of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Last updated in June, 2011.
- Texas Animal Health Commission
- Links to TAHC press releases and other broader links.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife CWD page
- This page produced by Texas Parks and Wildlife contains information about
"chronic wasting disease" in deer and elk and provides several
links. Last updated in 2003.
- Texas Cattle Feeders
- Links to current updates and BSE test results for Texas.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Fact sheet on Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, with links to BSE information
Union: TSE/BSE Introduction
- Information on bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), inspections, impact
on trade, and control.
- United Kingdom - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Archive of the United Kingdom's main bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) site which includes links to the beef industry, eradication of BSE, publications, public health, science, and statistics. More current information may be found by searching DEFRA's main website.
- World Health Organization
- Includes information on contains the impact of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), surveillance and control, information dissemination and other resources.
- World Organization for Animal Health
- The World Organization for Animal health works to provide the safety of
food of animal origin and to promote animal welfare through a science-based
approach. Their BSE Portal has links to current news as well as historical statistics.
Direct (Accessible off-campus by WTAMU students,
staff, and faculty only)
- Science Direct has broad science coverage, with particular emphasis on life sciences, engineering, earth sciences and pharmacology. Over 1800 full-text journals. For this database you will need to search under both "bovine spongiform encephalopathy" and "mad cow" for more complete searching.
- Use PubMed to find articles about bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), you can type in "Mad Cow Disease" and it will search under those terms and automatically search under BSE also.
- Agriculture database providing citations for various topics in journals, books, theses, dissertations, etc. For this database you will need to search under both "bovine spongiform encephalopathy" and "mad cow" for more complete searching.