Some of the links below are archived material from 2003 when President Bush declared an end to major combat in Iraq. Others continue to update the political and social issues in the country.
- Google search: Iraq
- DefenseLINK News (US Dept. of Defense)
- The Struggle for Iraq (BBC)
- War in Iraq (CNN - Archived)
- Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Reach of War (New York Times)
- Iraq (Voice of America)
- World: Iraq (Washington Post)
- Iraq Daily (WorldNews)
Recommended Online Databases
- Cornette Library Catalog: Iraq
- Choose from a list of subject headings on Iraq to find the books and documents available in the Cornette Library.
- InfoTrac Newspapers (WTAMU only)
- Full-text of Texas and other newspapers including: the Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, Austin American Statesman, and national newspapers such as the New York Times, the Knight-Ridder Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News.
- LexisNexis Academic (WTAMU only)
- Full-text database of news, legal, business, reference, biographical, and medical publications.
- Military & Government Collection (WTAMU only)
- Indexing and abstracts over 360 magazines, including Military Review, Parameters, Army Times, and Defense, with the full-text of country reports from CountryWatch and over 320 military and general interest publications.
- Newspaper Source (WTAMU only)
- Full-text of regional U.S. newspapers, international newspapers, newswires, and newspaper columns, including USA Today, Christian Science Monitor, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Wall Street Journal; and selected English-language international newspapers such as The Australian, The Times (London), and the Moscow Times.
Organizations and Resources
- Country Briefings: Iraq (The Economist)
- Recent articles from The Economist with a country profile which includes sections on: Factsheet, Forecast, Political forces, Political structure, Economic structure, and Economic data.
- Federation of American Scientists
- News and analysis, resources on weapons, and links to other sites.
- Run under the Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control and affiliated with the University of Wisconsin, this site contains UN documents, and documents of foreign governments, all focusing on the issue of arms control in Iraq. This site will no longer be updated after August 2006.
- Iraq Maps (UT Library Online)
- Digital copies of maps from the CIA and other sources. Includes country maps, city maps, detailed maps, thematic maps, historical maps, and links to other map sites.
- Interactive guides: Iraq (The Guardian)
- Includes interactive maps of the progress of the war, which includes the war chronology, military bases, air campaign, and city maps, as well as Baghdad, Basra, British troop deployment, and U.S. military build-up. Requires Flash. Last updated January, 2006.
- General political boundary maps and peacekeeping maps. These maps are in PDF format.
- U.S. Department of State Background Notes: Iraq
- Background Notes provide information and statistics on various countries in the area of government, people, economy, history, and geography. The Iraq Background Note also contains a section on U.S.-Iraq relations.
- Iraq (State Dept.)
- Information here includes a map of Iraq, and links to fact sheets, press releases, annual reports, and remarks about Iraq.
- Iraq: A Country Study
- The Library of Congress Country Studies provide very detailed information about various countries. Last updated August, 2006.
- Iraq: Renewal in Iraq (White House)
- Reports, public statements, and press releases from President Bush on the situation with Iraq.
- Middle East Related CRS Reports
- A collection of recent Congressional Research Service reports on Iraq. Last updated January, 2006.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs in Iraq
- Here is the testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Feb. 27, 2002. Adobe Acrobat is needed to view this document.
- CIA World Factbook: Iraq
- The World Factbook also contains information and statistics on Iraq.
- Iraq - Consular Information Sheet
- Recommends against all but essential travel by U.S. citizens to Iraq.
- Department of Defense news source. Includes links to press releases and special reports.
- Permanent Mission of Iraq to the United Nations
- Includes information about the Iraqi government and its role within the United Nations.
- UN News Centre: Iraq
- United Nations news updates on Iraq.
- U.K. Online
- Electronic home for the government of the United Kingdom.
- Statements from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In English, French, German, Spanish, and Arabic.
- Homepage for the government of Germany. In German, English, and French.
- Trial of Saddam Hussein
- Library of Congress' site on the Trial of Saddam Hussein. A chronology of events of the trial with links to sources and more information.
- Alternative Resources on the U.S.- Iraq Conflict
- Extensive collection of links to: alternative news, analysis, and commentary; organizations concerned with Iraq and the Middle East; special reports on Iraq; antiwar organizations; and demonstrations, petitions, letter-writing campaigns. From the American Library Association Social Responsibility Round Table. Last updated in January, 2007.
- Iraqi War Debate: 2002-2007
- A comprehensive site from the University of Michigan that includes: Books, articles, threat assessments, containment strategies, military issues, political aftermath of war, interest groups, primary players, among others. Some links are to University of Michigan databases, please use the Quick Links menu in the top right corner of this page to see if we subscribe to the same database.
- The War on Terrorism: Post-Saddam Iraq
- Good collection of links. Includes sections on news and commentary, government documents, political background and analysis, military and strategic issues, weapons of mass destruction, and the impact of sanctions. Compiled by East Carolina University. Last updated December, 2005.
- Iraq: United States Institute of Peace
- Summarized current situation in Iraq, including USIP endeavors.
- Yahoo! Regional > Countries > Iraq