Evaluating Specificity and Relevance
Goal: Find sources that specifically address your individual question.
- Does the item relate to your specific question, or is it misfocused?
- Example: An article about racism in South Africa would not be relevant to a research question like Does racism still exist in the 21st century United States?
- Does the item address all or a part of your topic?
- Partial coverage from one source requires coverage from other sources. Example: An article about racism in current college admissions MIGHT be helpful for the above topic.
- May require scanning an entire article, as titles aren't always informative.