Laptop Checkout and Use Policy
The primary mission of the Cornette Library is to provide access to information resources. As part of a comprehensive information network, the Cornette Library supports the curriculum of the University, the research of the faculty, and the development of student research skills to prepare them to cope with the demands of an information-based society.
The library provides access to knowledge as it is currently structured, and to emerging fields of knowledge. Technology plays an important role as an access tool and as a storage medium. Immediate, physical access to a strong core collection locally increasingly is enhanced by delivery of information from remote sources.
To this end, and in addition to the 20 public access desktop computers located in Reference and the 8 public desktops located in Government Documents and Periodicals, the Cornette Library has acquired 24 Latitude laptop computers, capable of web browsing and word processing (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), which can be checked out by faculty, staff and students for use within the library.
- Only WTAMU students, faculty and staff with active Buffalo Gold ID cards may check out the laptops.
- Patrons with a delinquent Library account must clear their record before they will be allowed to check out a laptop.
All patrons are responsible for knowing and following the rules stated in this Laptop Checkout and Use Policy.
- Only the person who checked out the laptop may use it.
- The laptops are to be used for university-related projects by WTAMU students, faculty and staff. Priority is given to course-related use and patrons may be asked to yield to others with those needs. The use of these resources for commercial activity is prohibited.
- Internet-based resources may be used for lawful purposes only. Violation of local, state or federal laws, such as those regarding pornography, copyright, theft, vandalism, violation of personal privacy, and unauthorized access to computing resources may result in arrest and/or prosecution.
- All users agree to refrain from conduct, which produces an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work or study environment. WTAMU policies regarding sexual, racial and other forms of harassment, as well as standards of conduct for WTAMU students, faculty and staff are specified in the Texas A&M University System Policy and Regulation Manual, the West Texas A&M University Rules and Procedures, and the Rules for Responsible Information Technology Usage. Violation of WTAMU policies may result in penalties under University regulations.
- A WTAMU Buffalo Gold ID card must be presented when requested by Library staff.
- Email accounts may not be set up on the laptops. Users may access their student or faculty/staff University Webmail.
- Laptops may be checked out for two hours from the Circulation Desk and must be returned to the Circulation Desk within two hours or before the library closes for the day, whichever comes first.
- Laptops may not leave the Library for any reason. Information Technology Services at 651-7904 has laptops to use outside of the Library.
- Patrons may check out AC adapters and/or mice with the laptops.
Fines and Fees
- Patrons are financially responsible for the loss, theft and/or damage of a laptop when it is checked out to them. For this reason, NEVER leave a laptop unattended.
- Patrons will be charged for the repair of any damaged laptops and accessories and/or the replacement cost for lost, stolen, or non-repairable damaged items.
- Overdue fines will accrue at the rate of $15 per hour. Patrons will be billed for unreturned or lost laptops. The replacement cost is $2,000 plus a $25 processing fee.
Note: The Registrar's Office will withhold diplomas, grades, and transcripts until all outstanding library charges are paid.
- Library staff will provide minimal technical support for users.
- Users are expected to inform Circulation staff of any problems with the laptops so that issues can be resolved in a timely manner.
- The laptops will print to the Library network printer located behind the Circulation Desk.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are available on the laptops.
- Internet Explorer and Firefox are available on the laptops.
- Most standard plug-ins (such as Quicktime, Real Player, Windows Media Player, iTunes, a TIFF viewer, Adobe Acrobat Reader) are available.
- Unfortunately, we cannot extend this privilege to Friends of the Cornette Library, TAMU Affiliates, or dependents of WTAMU faculty and staff.
- Laptops may be renewed at the Circulation Desk. The laptop must be brought to the Circulation Desk to be renewed.
- Only one laptop may be checked out at a time. Only the person who checked out the laptop may use it. For group checkouts, please contact the Circulation Unit (at 806-651-2223, Monday-Friday 8:00am and 5:00pm) prior to the date the laptops are needed.
- Adding, deleting, or altering computer hardware/software or settings is prohibited.
- No data can be stored on the laptops. You may, however, temporarily save a file to the hard drive prior to attaching it to an email created using your student webmail or faculty/staff webmail. You may also save files to your own USB storage device.
- Copyright Law (title 17, U.S. Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of "fair use." Except as allowed by those principles, individuals should not copy or distribute electronic materials (including electronic mail, text, images, programs or data) without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
- Consequences of copyright infringement lie with the user; WTAMU Cornette Library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility from such use.
Those individuals who do not follow these standards of behavior may be denied use of Cornette Library computer and network resources. Violators of these standards may also be subject to penalties under WTAMU University regulations and under local, state, or federal laws.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2215.