Purpose: To acquaint you with materials in Cornette Library and on the World Wide Web that will make research for your assignment easier.
- Excellent place to start research.
- Provide background information.
- Include basic information sources like dictionaries, encyclopedias, bibliographies, chronologies, and research guides.
- How to Write a Business Plan
- HD 30.28 .M3839 2005 Ref.
- Outlines "how to make realistic financial projections, develop effective marketing strategies and refine your overall business goals."
- Texas Almanac
- AY 311 .D3 T5 Ref.
- Most recent edition at Reference Desk. Includes brief information about counties with economic information; Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA); Texas newspapers, radio and television stations; and Economies in Largest Metropolitan Areas.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- HA 202 .A2 Ref.
- Most recent edition at Reference Desk. Also available online. Wide variety of statistics including employment and economic.
- Data Sources for Business and Market Analysis
- HF 5415.124 .F7 1994 Ref.
- Sources of data from such places as the federal and local government, foreign governments, international organizations, universities, research institutions, professional and trade associations, and business firms.
- Editor & Publisher Market Guide
- HF 5905. E38 Ref.
- Annual publication. Directory of newspaper market and demographics.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook
- HE 8689 .B77 Ref.
- Annual publication. Directory of U.S. and Canadian radio and television stations, cable systems, satellite systems, advertising and marketing services, production and programming services, professional services, trade associations, and trade shows.
- North/West Texas Business Directory
- HF 5065 .T4 T49 1999/2000 Ref.
- Section on major employers listed by city.
- Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media
- Z 6951 .A97 Ref.
- Annual publication. Guide to newspapers, magazines, journals, radio stations, television stations, and cable systems in the United States and Canada. Arranged by state and by city within each state.
- Cornette Library's Online Catalog
- Includes books, government documents, videos, journal titles, etc. available throughout the Library. Suggested searches include:
- a keyword search for your subject, such as business plans.
- the general LC subject heading business planning.
- the LC subject heading for a specific time and place such as business planning united states.
To determine the most appropriate subject headings for your search, refer to the red Library of Congress Subject Headings near the Reference computers in the Library or search the online Library of Congress Authorities Catalog.
- Online catalog for libraries around the world.
- Lists Cornette Library books along with many more in other libraries.
- Search by keyword, author, title, or subject.
- Request books not in Cornette Library through the pre-filled Interlibrary loan form. Allow at least two weeks for the books to arrive.
Provide current information
- Library shelves contain more than 1500 bound and current journals.
- Microform (film or fiche) available for dozens of leading newspapers, as well as other periodicals.
- Databases index articles found in journals and magazines.
- Citation only;
- Citation and a short summary of the article (abstract);
- Full text;
- General, covering many kinds of topics, and specialized, for specific disciplines.
- For this assignment be sure to use scholarly sources, not general interest magazines. The differences are important, for citation and for evaluating reliability.
How to Access Databases
- On-campus: In the library or HELC.
- Off-campus: Login with your Buff Advisor username (for example, js123456) and your Buff Advisor password (for example, buffaloes).
- Database citations not in full-text may be located in Cornette Library's online catalog, or the list of online journals.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles inaccessible through Cornette library. Allow up to 3 weeks for articles to arrive.
- Business Source Complete
- Comprehensive coverage of business journal and periodicals. Many articles available in full-text.
- Business & Company Resource Center
- Business, company, and industry information. In searching by company using the advanced search option, can search by city.
- LexisNexis Statistical
- Indexing and links to statistical information from international agency, federal, state, and local government statistical publications.
- Displays in most of our databases. Links from a citation to one or more of the following:
- One or more links to full-text of the cited article,
- A link to a pre-set search of the Cornette Library catalog for the cited item,
- A link to a pre-filled Interlibrary Loan request form for the article, or
- A link to various help options.
- For more information see the tutorial Using SFX to Link to Articles
- Ask at the Reference Desk (first floor) or Periodicals Desk (second floor).
- Call 651-2215 during the hours Cornette Library is open.
- Use the "Ask A Librarian" form for electronic reference support.
Cornette Library collects United States federal and Texas state documents on many topics.
- Most U.S. documents published since 1994 are listed in the Cornette Library's online catalog.
- For older documents, you will need to use the Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications.
- We also have British Parliamentary Papers from 1731-1978/79 in microform.
Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications
- Indexes all United States government documents made available through the Government Printing Office.
- Includes Congressional reports, hearings, debates, and records; judiciary materials; documents issued by executive departments (Defense, State, Labor, Office of the President, etc.).
- Dates available include:
- Documents/Reference (1913-present).
- Online via FirstSearch. (1976-present)
- The World Wide Web is an excellent source of information.
- Not everything found on the Web is accurate.
- You must evaluate information on the Web.
- Business Plan Software and Sample Business Plans
- Business Plans and Profiles Index: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Searchable lists of annotated web sites, discussion lists, and electronic journals that have met specific selection criteria.
- Scout Report Archives
- Scholarly. Keyword or advanced search. Results listed by relevance.
- INFOMINE Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
- Scholarly. Keyword search or browse by general subject area. Can limit to free sites.
- ipl2 - "Information You Can Trust" (merger of Internet Public Library and Librarians' Index to the Internet)
- General public interest. Keyword search, or browse by general topic and subtopic.
Why must I cite the sources I use for research projects?
- To give credit to the author of the information you use.
- To avoid plagiarism (WTAMU Code of Student Life: Appendix I-Academic Integrity Code)
a serious offense that can result in failure or expulsion.
- So that others can verify the information.
- To assist others in doing their own research.
- Mr. Ray requires you to use the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 5th ed.
- A copy of this style manual is located at the Reference Desk.
- Additional assistance is available from our Citation Basics web page.
- Suggestions for improvements?
- Particularly helpful items?
- Please email Linda Chenoweth.