Featured from New Books
Click on the call number to check the books current status.
Baby Read-Aloud Basics
New York: AMACOM, 2006
LB1139.5 .R43 B58 2006
Decades of research have proven the value of reading aloud to children, and the years between birth and age two are arguably the most critical for language development. As a parent, it's important that you help your baby acquire the foundation they need to speak earlier, read on their own sooner, and benefit from an increased vocabulary and attention span.
Baby Read-Aloud Basics shows you how to establish an effective daily read-aloud routine to take charge of your baby's future understanding and success. Organized around the six stages of early language development from birth to age two, the book provides simple but effective techniques to help you:
- Make reading aloud an interactive experience - from intonation and speech patterns to gesture.
- Select what to read aloud by looking at how much the text of the book repeats, whether it rhymes, and the types of interactive elements it incorporates.
- Know when to read and how often in order to create a reading routine that's both enjoyable and effective.
- Ensure your baby gets the right amount of language from a nanny or a caretaker.
- Effectively incorporate reading into a bilingual home.
Filled with step-by-step instructions, scripted demonstrations, and a list of recommended titles, Baby Read-Aloud Basics gives you all the guidance and information you need to instill a lifelong love of reading and learning, and start your baby along on the road to success.
Quoted from dust jacket.