Dr. Lee L. Johnson
Dr. Johnson was born in Coryell County, Texas, near Gatesville in 1892. About ten years later, he moved with his family to Terry County, near Brownfield, where they were open-range cattle ranchers and cotton farmers. He Graduated from Gomez High School in 1911, received a teaching certificate in 1912, taught in a one-room school, and did tax work before earning his Bachelor’s degree from West Texas State Teachers College in 1928, his Master’s from the University of Texas in Austin in 1931, and his Ph.D. (first doctorate awarded in Accounting) from the University of Missouri in 1941. During his 32 years of affiliation with West Texas State he:
Dr. Johnson married Clementine Smith (B.A., WT, ’26) in 1924; they had four children. He was active in civic and community affairs in Canyon and Amarillo [including Canyon City Council, Rotary Club, Masons, Boy Scouts, First Baptist Church of Canyon (deacon and trustee), and Canyon Country Club]. They were ardent supporters of theatre (especially WT’s Branding Iron Theatre), symphony, and the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum.
After early retirement from WT, he served twelve years on the faculties of the University of Mississippi in Oxford and then at East Texas Baptist College in Marshall, with true retirement occurring in 1973 at age 80. He loved teaching.
His corner-stone beliefs included:
He loved to watch the sun rise and set each day and to see his students leading successful and enriching lives.