Academic Advising and Greenlighting
Academic advising is a process that helps students map out a plan for academic success and ensure their goals are met. During advising, the student becomes eligible to register using West Texas A&M University’s online registration system, Buff Advisor
, through a process called “greenlighting.”
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an advising and greenlighting appointment with Advising Services, please call (806) 651-5300.
All undergraduate students must be advised and greenlighted every semester to be eligible for registration. Some programs recommend, and a few require all their major students regardless of the number of hours completed, to be pre-advised in the department before being greenlighted in Advising Services.
Students with fewer than 30 hours, undecided majors, most BGS (Bachelor of General Studies) majors and most BAAS (Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences) majors must visit Advising Services.
Students with 31-45 hours may visit Advising Services or their major departments as determined by departmental preference.
Students with more than 45 hours visit their major departments.
Review the departmental advising policy and find specific adviser contact information in the Department Advisers
Preparing for your Appointment
To prepare for your advising and greenlighting appointment, follow these steps:
Currently Enrolled Students
- Log in to your Buff Advisor account. Make sure have available your Degree Checklist and Curriculum Guide.
- Select Student Planning from the students menu. If you need a tutorial, we have two formats available for you to review:
- Go to View my Progress and review. For programs with a pre component, you must change the program. For example, if you are currently in the Pre-Social Work program you must select BA/BS Social Work.
- Click on Plan and Schedule, then select Timeline. Using your Degree Checklist, Curriculum Guide, and My Progress tab to select your tentative courses and add them to your Summer and/or Fall semester.
- Schedule a tentative plan for Spring 2017. You and an adviser will review for accuracy during your advising appointment.
B.A.A.S. and General Studies Majors
Please review your degree plan and bring it with you to your advising appointment.
New and Returning Students
If you are not currently enrolled at WTAMU. you are not required to have a tentative schedule on Student Planning.
Registration opens by classification the first business day in April and the first business day in November. Students must be advised and greenlighted to be eligible for registration.
Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Affected Students
Students who have not met all Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements, regardless of the number of credit hours completed, must register in Advising Services; they are not eligible to use Buff Advisor for registration until TSI is completed. The TSI-affected student with 45 or more hours must first be advised and greenlighted by the major departmental adviser and then further advised in the Office of Advising Services regarding TSI compliance.
Changes of Academic Program
Students with 45 or more hours who have not been assigned an adviser, who wish to change their adviser or who wish to change their major should contact the department of their major and request an appointment to complete a change of adviser/major form. Once completed, the form should be taken to the Office of the Registrar for updating of the student record. For a list of the bachelor's degrees conferred at WTAMU, please refer to the degree and program offering page.