- Attain at least a bachelor’s degree
- Complete all courses listed on the degree / deficiency plan
- Meet the grade point averages required on the degree / deficiency plan (no grade less than a “C” will be accepted in the teaching field or on professional development coursework)
- Achieve passing scores on all ExCET/TExES tests designated on the degree / deficiency plan
- Apply for certification and pay the SBEC fees (steps below)
- Go online to State Board for Educator Certification
- Choose “Online Services for Educators”
- Create a SBEC Online account (or login using an existing account)
- Follow the instructions to apply for certification
- Pay the SBEC fees online or by mail
- By mail - you may print the remittance form and send payment to SBEC (to expedite the process, SBEC recommends that payment be made via money order or cashier’s check.)
- All first time certificate applicants must submit fingerprints through SBEC. Follow and complete instructions for fingerprinting (to expedite teh process and reduce errors, it's recommended to choose the electronic fingerprinting option)
- When you have applied correctly, you will receive an email from SBEC that your application has been submitted into the application database.
Before you apply, make sure you have confirmed with your Program advisor that all your coursework, exams, and requirements on your offical degree or deficiency.
A certification officer will review requirements when West Texas A&M University receives notification. Before issuing certification, the State Board for Educator Certification will initiate a criminal background review and process applicant payments.