West Texas A&M University

Buff Transit Tracker
Study Abroad Documents


Getting a passport
To apply for a passport, you need to fill out the Form DSP-11. The U.S. Department of State website contains a wizard designed to walk you through the application process. After completion of the walk through, the wizard will let you print Form DSP-11 for submission at an acceptance facility. There are more than 4,500 locations nationwide to submit your application or renewal, this database will help find an acceptance facility near you, or you can make an appointment with the post office in Canyon or any post office in Amarillo.

Please DO NOT sign the application form until you meet with the official at the post office - they must witness your signature.

You will need the following at your appointment:

  • Application printed but not signed.
  • Certified copy of your birth certificate (can be purchased at the county court house if you were born in Texas).
  • Driver’s license or state-issued identification with picture.
  • Two recent, identical photographs. These must be 2” by 2” and meet the specifications for official passport photos (snapshots generally do not work). You can purchase these photos at a number of places like Walgreens, CVS pharmacy or directly at the post office.
  • Social security number (you will not need your card).
  • Address, birth date and place of birth, parents’ birth date and place of birth and spouse’s birth date and place of birth.
  • Payment for your passport will range depending on whether you request standard or expedited processing.

If you already have a passport, remember that it must be valid for at least six months after the date of departure. For information on renewing your passport, please see the next paragraph.

Renewing a passport
To renew your passport, you will need the form DSP-82 (also available on the U.S. Department of State website). You can renew by mail if:

  • Your passport was issued within the last 15 years
  • You were more than 16 years of age when it was issued
  • Your name is the same as it reads on the passport

If you do not meet these requirements, you must apply in person using the steps outlined above.

Visa requirements
Depending on your country of origin, country of destination and length of stay, you may be required to obtain a Visa. You can find out by visiting the Consulate General of the country you plan to visit. For more information on obtaining a Visa, please visit www.travel.state.gov. Then you can select your country of destination and see the Entry/Exit Requirements for U.S. Citizens. If you are not a U.S. Citizen, we will need to search the requirements for your country of origin. The OSA and the International Students Office can provide help in finding out! Also, most providers offer Visa support; thus, if you are going on their programs, they can assist you in getting a Visa as well.

Other documents
If you are an U.S. Citizen, your passport book and visa (if required) should be enough to get you out of the country, and back. However, rules differ for U.S. residents and International students. For U.S. Residents, a Green Card will be necessary when traveling, and for International Students, the I-94 and I-20 are required for re-entry to the U.S.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) recipients can also participate in study abroad programs. In order to do so, it is highly recommended that you contact an immigration attorney to help you fill out the appropriate documentation, obtain a special permission to leave the country called “Advanced Parole” and ensure that you can re-entry the U.S. For additional information, please contact the OSA.

Next section: Programs information
Go to Study Abroad 101