West Texas A&M University

Buff Transit Tracker
Public Administration Program

Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree/Bachelor of Science (B.S.)

Degree in Public Administration 

Minor in Public Administration

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

What is the mission of WTAMU’s public administration program?

WTAMU’s public administration’s mission is to prepare students for public sector and nonprofit careers in the Texas Panhandle, our state, our nation and world.

Back to Top

What are the goals of the public administration program?

The goals of our program stem from our short but comprehensive mission statement.  Our goals are:

  • Prepare innovative leaders by
    • Developing their managerial and analytical skills through a generalist-, practitioner-based program
    • Implementation of an interdisciplinary curriculum that links future employment and career advancement with
      • theory and practice
      • technical with interpersonal skills
  • Work primarily with students interested in the following areas:
    • Uniformed and protective services
      • Current or prior military personnel
      • Firefighters
      • Police officers
      • Emergency managers
    • Justice experts
      • Police officers
      • Court and prison officials
    • State, regional, and local governments
    • State and federal inspection and oversight committees
    • Non-profit organizations at the international, national, state, and regional levels
  • Advancing governance quality in the Texas Panhandle and the state of Texas by
    • Informing regional governments of programs and issues facing us as taxpayers, as Americans and Panhandle citizens
    • Confronting the challenges of justice, public safety, and public service in a free and democratic society within a republican-form of government
    • Fostering democratic discourse among
      • Citizens
      • Policy makers
      • Public sector and nonprofit managers
      • Public administration scholars
      • Maintaining intellectual acuity and professional competence

Back to Top

When was the program created?

WTAMU’s undergraduate public administration program was created in the late 1950s by late Professor George Ritter. Directed by Professor Emeritus J. Pat Stephens from 1968 until 1998, our publicadministration graduates have served our region and state in a variety of positions. 

Back to Top

Where have your graduates worked?

Many WT graduates served as city managers and assistant city managers throughout Texas. Others have served our state in a variety of state-level and academic positions.  Our more recent graduates are continuing the same tradition established by our predecessors over 50 years ago.

Back to Top

What are the admission requirements?

Freshmen applicants can file general admission requirements by visiting our website at http://www.wtamu.edu/admissions/apply-freshman.aspx.

Transfer applicants should refer to our website at http://www.wtamu.edu/admissions/apply_transfer.aspx

WTAMU has Transfer Plans available to transfer students from the following colleges: Amarillo College, Clarendon College, Frank Phillips College, Midland College, and South Plains College. These plans outline required courses for an associate’s degree at the community college AND a bachelor’s degree at WT by major program.

Back to Top

What are the required courses for the public administration degree?

For information about a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in this field, please go to our website for an alphabetical listing of all of our degree programs and course requirements: http://www.wtamu.edu/advising/degree-checklists.aspx 

I like the idea of serving my community but I also have interests in other majors. Does public administration fit as a minor in my area?

Students majoring in Emergency Management Administration and Criminal Justice Administration cannot apply, but all other majors are eligible.

The public and nonprofit sectors comprise 25 to 33 percent of the total U.S. economy. Anyone majoring in the social sciences, education, business, or the arts will find that minoring in public administration will teach them the skills to become administrators in their chosen fields. 

To obtain a minor in public administration, a student earns a total of 18 hours in political science or public administration. The requirements are: 

  • POSC 2304 – Introduction to Political Science
  • POSC 2305 – American National Government
  • POSC 2306 – American State and Local Government

Nine hours of 3000- or 4000-level political science courses with a focus on public administration

  • POSC 3318 – Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations
  • POSC 3362 – Statistics for the Social Sciences
  • POSC 4307 – Municipal Government
  • POSC 4331 – Administrative Law
  • POSC 4348 – Ethics in Justice and EMA Systems
  • POSC 4350 – Public Administration
  • POSC 4351 – Public Sector and Nonprofit Marketing
  • POSC 4354 – Public Personnel Administration
  • POSC 4355 – Public Financial Administration
  • POSC 4356 – Principles of Emergency Management
  • POSC 4359 – Organizational Theory in the Public Sector
A listing of requirements for a minor in our field can be found on the main department page. 

Back to Top

Is the program completely online?

Yes, the public administration program can be completely online. Remote students should be working with the advisor for substitutes to traditional courses. On-campus students are recommended to take those courses in-person.

Back to Top

When can I begin the program?

WTAMU’s Public Administration program allows students to begin classes at the start of any semester.

Back to Top

Is on-campus residency required?


Back to Top

Is this program limited only to citizens of Texas?


Back to Top

Is the program self-paced?

No. Courses begin and end within a semester.

Back to Top

How does a student apply to the program?

The application process is easy. It is a three-step process: a) apply, b) send transcripts, and c) establish a degree plan.

First, a student must apply to West Texas A&M University at the state’s universal, online application program at https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX

Secondly, a student will request official transcripts from all colleges and universities to be sent to our Admissions Office. We do not accept transcripts sent from the student even if the student sends the Admissions Office an unopened, official transcript that was issued to the student.   Please send all transcripts to the following address: Office of Admissions, West Texas A&M University, Box 60907, Canyon, Texas 79016. Any additional questions can be answered by referring to the Admissions website at http://wtamu.edu/admissions/default.aspx. Admission counselors will review your application, transcripts, etc.

If you are accepted to the university, each student will be notified by U.S. Postal Service of their admission to the university. WTAMU identification numbers, college e-mail accounts, and other services will be provided at this time. All official information will be sent to you by either e-mail or by letter. It is imperative that each student rely upon their WTAMU e-mail account for all official communication with their professors, staff, and administrators. Do not use personal e-mail accounts to talk with professors, staff, or administrators.

Back to Top

For transfer students only

Once you are admitted to the university, each student is required to complete an application for a degree plan. This is an extremely important requirement. An advisor will analyze your transcripts and apply the transfer classes to your degree plan checklist. This application is made directly to the individual’s college located within the university. EMA students make this application through the College of Education and Social Sciences’ website at https://apps.wtamu.edu/forms/degree.php.

Students with less than 30 hours of credit are advised by Advising Services. Those with more than 30 hours are advised by a faculty advisor in our department.

Back to Top

How is a student advised? 

Students are required to contact their advisor each semester and discuss the classes they should take in the coming semester. Students are unable to register for classes until they have done this. This process helps to ensure that students are taking the right classes and are progressing toward graduation. 

Back to Top

What is greenlighting?

Once a student is advised on the courses that can be completed in the upcoming semester, the advisor will approve this student for course registration. This process is known as greenlighting.

Back to Top

How do I register for classes?

It is the student’s responsibility to register for classes after advising. Students register by entering WTAMU’s website, www.wtamu.edu and clicking the Registration button at the bottom of the main web page. This button connects the student to Buff Advisor where he or she can register for classes. Faculty members do not register students for classes unless  there are unusual, extenuating circumstances or teacher permission is required to register for a specific course. Otherwise, class registration is a student responsibility that occurs after consulting with one’s advisor.

Back to Top

Will I register after or during orientation?

Most on-campus students attend campus orientation. Most online students cannot for various reasons. Students register for classes after developing a degree plan and talking with their advisor. Registration usually opens about two months prior to the beginning of the upcoming semester. Please contact your advisor to schedule an appointment to discuss your plans by telephone or electronic mail.

Back to Top

What are the tuition rates?

WTAMU is one of the lowest-cost, public institutions of higher education in Texas. To determine what the cost will be to you, please go to our Cost Calculator at http://apps.wtamu.edu/calculator/.

Back to Top

Are scholarships available?


There are 10 scholarships that are available to public administration students. They are: the John D. And Mary O. Coleman Scholarship, Judge Marvin Jones Scholarship, Lassiter – Looney Scholarship in Political Economics, Travis McBride Political Science Scholarship Fund, Jesse and Grace Osborne Endowment Fund, Retired Professors Scholarship for Criminal Justice and Political Science, Walter L. Shelley Political Science Scholarship, Max and Jean Alice Sherman Public Affairs Scholarship, Claudia D. Stravato Women in Government Scholarship, John Ward Administration Scholarship. For more information about each of these scholarships please go to our website, http://www.wtamu.edu/student-support/scholarships-list-of.aspx#19.

Back to Top

Does WTAMU accept GI Bill and Hazelwood Scholarships?

Absolutely! We are considered to be one of the nation’s more military-friendly campuses by Military Advanced Education. For more information about this honor, please visit Veterans Services.

For more information about our programs for active military, prior military, and their families, please go to our website at http://www.wtamu.edu/student-support/cs-stu-military-veterans.aspx

Back to Top

When do I apply for graduation?

Students apply for graduation during the first month of their last semester. To apply students need to fill out a form entitled Application for Graduation and Tuition Rebate. It needs to be submitted to Kathy Lefever, Assistant to the Dean of the College of Education and Social Sciences via e-mail at klefever@wtamu.edu or by fax at 806-651-3602. She can be reached by phone at 806-651-2600.

Back to Top

How much can I anticipate earning upon graduation?

Public administration employment opportunities vary by region and specialty. Public sector jobs are expected to grow at an average to above-average rate through 2014. Entry-level positions range between $25,000 to $45,000 depending upon one’s field of interest and expertise. 

Perhaps most obviously, chief executives of government often hold degrees in public administration. As a government executive such as a Governor, Mayor or Township Supervisor, it is one’s responsibility to direct and coordinate the administration of city (or township, county, State, etc.) government in accordance with policies determined by an authorized legislative body. They also appoint department heads and staffs as provided by state laws or local ordinances.  Salary information varies widely depending on the location and policies of the local legislature, as well as the scope of one’s responsibility. However, the average wage reported in 2003 by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) for Chief Executives in government was $67,230.

There are several other public servant occupations that one can pursue with a degree in public administration. The following is a list of some of the more common positions, including information on the average annual salary made by employees in 2008, as reported by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA):

  • City or County Clerks - $49,414
  • City or County Treasurers - $46,020
  • City Managers - $94,992
  • Health Officer - $70,966
  • Human Resources Directors - $78,234
  • Information Services Directors - $83,000
  • Financial Officer - $79,045
  • Fire Chiefs - $79,123
  • Park Superintendents - $71,593
  • Police Chiefs - $54,143

It is important to note that although each of these sectors may possess entry-level positions where a Bachelor’s degree is sufficient requirement, for most executive-level positions (and the salary levels reported here), an advanced degree in public administration (or a related field such as Business or Policy) may be necessary.

For more information about employment opportunities, please contact WTAMU's Career Services Center at http://www.wtamu.edu/student-support/cs-home.aspx.

Back to Top