MAT/PB Teacher Certification (MAT/CERT)
The Master of Arts in Teaching/ Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification program (MAT/CERT) is a graduate university-based alternative teacher certification program for individuals who have previously earned a bachelor's degree and now want to pursue initial Texas teacher certification. The MAT/CERT program is consists of content course work, professional education course work, testing, field based experience, and a supervised teaching practicum in a Texas school district. The program offers MAT/CERT applicants flexibility to complete coursework over a period of three years, until successfully obtaining employment as a teacher, at which time the intern has one year to complete program requirements.
The MAT/CERT program is a graduate certification program that may lead into completion of the Master of Arts in Teaching. Candidates must complete all PB certification program requirements (testing, PB education course work, training, field experience, and internship or clinical teaching), MAT degree plan course work, and hold an initial Standard Texas Educator Certification prior to a administration of the comprehensive exam for the MAT degree. For additional information on the MAT degree, please contact Graduate School.
MAT/CERT Program Application Deadlines
- The PB program application period is open; however, it is recommended that applicants allow 4 weeks for evaluation and completion of the MAT/CERT teacher deficiency certification plan prior to a particular semester.
- Next, candidates must apply to WT's Graduate School for admission by May 1 for Summer, August 1 for Fall, and December 1 for Spring. Late applications may be accepted, but not be completed in time for target semester.
- NOTICE: The OAC will accept new MAT/CERT applications any time: however, plans submitted between January 14 - March 1, will not be reviewed and processed until after March 18th for Summer 2013/Fall 2013 registration.
- Summer 2013 registration dates for Graduate MAT/CERT students
- Current, Enrolled students may start registration from April 1 - May 30
- New, Admitted students may start registration April 22 - May 30
- Fall 2013 registration dates for Graduate MAT/CERT students
- May 1 - August 9 for proirity registration
- Aug 12 - August 26 for late registration
Important Testing Information:
Degreed individuals may demonstrate content proficiency for possible admission into the PACE or P-B CERT program by taking the taking the TExES content exam through the Pre-Admission Content Tests, or PACT, system. Potential applicants are encouraged to take the content exam for the target certificate as early as possible in the process. Click here for Information Regarding Pre-Admission Content Test(s)
- A successful passing score on a certification exam does not excuse the student from the professional education courseswork to be completed with an EPP, and the student is still required to meet program requirements. Nor does passing an exam certify a student, the student will need to complete program requirements