Department of Music
Bachelor of Music (B.M.) Degree
Major in Composition (Major Code: 216)
University Core Curriculum Requirements
Refer to the “University Core Curriculum” section of the catalog.
NOTE: Music majors cannot receive core credit for MUSI 1306.
MUSI 1208 and 1209 satisfies “Visual and Performing Arts” in the core curriculum.
Music Core Requirements
- MUSI 1372, 1208, 1373, 1209, 2372, 2373, 3105, 3347, 3349.
- MUAP 10XX (two credit hours for each of four semesters) in performance medium.
- MUAP 30XX (two credit hours for each of two semesters) in performance medium.
- MUAP 1087 (two credit hours for each of four semesters) in composition.
- MUAP 3087 (two credit hours for each of two semesters) in composition.
- Six one-hour enrollments in piano with a grade of “C” or higher from MUSI 1180, 2180, MUAP 1069, 3069.
- 14 semester hours from MUSI 3256, 3263, 3264, 3265, 3266, 3267, 3268, 3269, 3270.
- MUSI 3207 or 3209, 3343.
- Two semester hours from MUSI 4211, 4212, 4213, 4252.
- Six semester hours of major ensemble.
- A minimum of eight semesters of major ensemble (two credit hours each long-term semester).
- Recital, concert, weekly seminar and departmental meeting attendance.
- Satisfactory senior recital performance before graduation.
- Four additional hours other than MUSI, MUEN or MUAP.
- Prospective composition majors must submit a portfolio consisting of 3-5 representative works (scores and recordings) to be considered for admittance into the studio.
- The prerequisite course for studio lessons is MUAP 1373 or equivalent.
- See the studio page for more information.